Senior Captain Kynan Rocks scored a hat trick in soccer's shutout of Binghamton.

Senior captain Kynan Rocks scored a hat trick, spurring men’s soccer to a shutout of Binghamton on Monday night at Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium.

The Lions (2-1-1) were coming off a tie at Army and looked to their senior captain to lead the way against Binghamton. The first half was quiet until the 24th minute, when Mott found senior forward Kynan Rocks who beat Bearcats' goalie Chris Shutler and scored the first goal of the night for the Lions.

In the 38th minute, Markarian found Rocks for a connection down the field, where he found the net for his second goal. Binghamton was unable to challenge Castanheira during the remainder of the first half.

The Bearcats’ Jack Muller had a close attempt in the second half saved not by goalkeeper Castanheira but by the goal post. In the 61st minute, Muller tried again but was unable to beat Castanheira.

First-year midfielder Sebastian Gunbeyi found team captain Rocks in the 66th minute for a give-and-go. Rocks took the ball to Binghamton’s goal, where he earned his first collegiate career hat trick. Meanwhile, Castanheira tallied his first clean sheet of the season.

Against Army, senior midfielder Dylan Mott tallied a shot on target in the seventh minute and nearly put Columbia on the board in West Point. However, Army’s Keenan O’Shea found Ibrahim Seye in the box to beat Castanheira to the first goal of the evening in the 18th minute.

The Lions made three more attempts on target in the remainder of the period, including a header by junior midfielder Vana Markarian, but Army goalkeeper Justin Stoll was able to hold his own, and the Light Blue off the scoreboard.

The Lions finally found the back of the net when junior midfielder John Denis found Markarian in the second half, with Markarian securing a header in the 64th minute that beat Stoll to his right.

Junior midfielder Danny Laranetto pressured Stoll with two more shots on target before heading into the first overtime frame. Ultimately neither the Lions nor the Mules could find the game-winner, and the game ended as a 1-1 draw.

The Lions will fight to hold their winning record at Monmouth on Friday evening where they will face off against the Hawks at 7 pm in West Long Branch, N.J.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia Lions Men's Soccer Soccer