Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Senior forward Dylan Mott scored the game's only goal in the 11th minute to give the Lions a win over Monmouth.

Columbia took home a simple victory from Monmouth on Friday night, scoring the only goal of the evening in the first half.

After only six minutes, sophomore midfielder Avi Eller was the first to challenge the Hawks (1-4-1) goalkeeper Sean Murray with a shot on target for the Lions (3-1-1). Senior midfielder Francisco Agrest continued the pressure, finding senior forward Dylan Mott in the box for a connection that put the Lions up 1-0 in the 11th minute of the game.

Monmouth followed up with three attempts but failed to find the target as many times. Senior forward Kynan Rocks, who earned Columbia’s victory at Binghamton last week with a hat trick, unsuccessfully challenged Murray with another shot on target in the 22nd minute.

Eller continued his offensive production with a second shot on target and a third attempt that was deflected by the goal post in the 34th minute. On the other end of the field, the Hawks didn’t pressure senior goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira until their first shot on target in the 41st minute.

Both defenses held strong in the second half, and neither team found the net for the remainder of the game. The Hawks made two off-target attempts but could not find the equalizer they needed. Agrest made the Lions’ only second-half shot on target in the 69th minute.

With another victory in its pocket, Columbia will face off against Fordham to defend its winning record in New York City at 7 p.m. on Friday night.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports