Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Although men's soccer possesses a winning record, it struggled in a 1-0 defeat against Fordham this weekend.

Men’s soccer failed to find the net in Friday’s game at Fordham, as it suffered a 1-0 defeat to the Rams.

The Lions (3-2-1) got the game going with the first shot on target by first-year midfielder Sebastian Gunbeyi in the 13th minute. Fordham (4-1-2) responded in the 20th minute with a header attempt from the box that was saved with a dive by senior goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira.

Fordham challenged Castanheira again in the 23rd minute when Rams forward Johannes Pieles found Janos Loebe for a shot from the outer right corner of the box that flew over Castanheira’s right shoulder and into the left side of the net.

Rams goalkeeper Rashid Nuhu was all over the ball for the remainder of the game. He beat the Lions at the goal in the 45th minute when first-year defender Will Todd made an on-target header attempt off a corner kick.

Neither team found the net in the second half. Junior midfielder John Denis challenged the Rams with a free kick fired at the top of the net. He was blocked, however, by Nuhu, who jumped to make the save with both hands, earning himself a clean sheet for the evening.

Though the Lions did not find a victory in the Bronx, they will have another chance to protect their winning record in their Ivy League opener at Brown on Saturday at 7 p.m.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Soccer Men's Soccer Columbia Lions