On the road for their Ivy opener, the Lions secured a win over Brown with two goals from Laranetto and one goal from Carrillo.

Kicking off the Ivy League season, men’s soccer cruised past Brown 3-1 on Friday in Providence to start conference play on a high note.

Neither side found the back of the net in the first half, but not for lack of effort. Brown (4-4-0, 0-1-0 Ivy) had four shots on goal in the first period, but the Lions’ (4-2-1, 1-0-0 Ivy) senior goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira kept Brown from taking the lead by blocking each of its attempts.

In the 35th minute, senior midfielder Francisco Agrest had the Lions’ only shot on goal in the half, but the Bears’ goalkeeper Max Gross kept the scoreline level.

In the second half, sophomore midfielder Beto Carrillo connected with junior midfielder Danny Laranetto, who found the back of the net and opened the game’s scoring for his first goal of the season. Just over four minutes later, in the 59th minute, Carrillo secured a goal of his own from the edge of the box, curling the ball past Gross and into the top left of the goal.

Gross saved two more attempts by the Lions before Bears’ forward Toby Howell scored in the 69th minute, cutting Brown’s deficit down to one goal.

In the 84th minute, from the goal line, senior forward Kynan Rocks found Laranetto at the top of the box, and Laranetto beat Gross for the second time on Saturday to put Columbia up 3-1. Brown made its final attempt in the 90th minute, but it was blocked by Castanheira for his sixth save of the game.

The Lions will travel to Pittsburgh on Tuesday for a midweek game at 7 p.m. and then return to Ivy competition on Saturday at the University of Pennsylvania.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports