Guglielmo Vedovotto / Columbia Daily Spectator

At the sound of the final whistle, men's soccer players fall to the ground after a frustrating 90 minutes against Princeton.

After an emotional 90 minutes, men’s soccer fell to Princeton 2-1 at home on Saturday afternoon.

The Tigers (7-4-1, 2-0-1 Ivy) played a high press from the start, keeping the Lions (5-4-1, 2-1 Ivy) in their defense third for the majority of the first half. Senior goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira easily saved Princeton’s first shot on goal, but was beat in the 16th minute by a second, low shot from inside the box. Up 1-0, the Tigers continued to dominate for the rest of the half.

In the 29th minute, the Light Blue keeper came out from goal in an attempt to send the ball down the field. Castanheira’s attempted clearance went directly into the torso of Princeton’s Jeremy Colvin, who had chased down the pass and rolled through the box and into the net, doubling the Tigers’ lead.

The Tigers kept pressing high at the start of the second half, but Castanheira held his ground in the 54th minute with a jumping save at the top of the net and again in the 56th minute with a double-handed block to keep out a shot at the middle of the goal.

In the 62nd minute, junior midfielder Danny Laranetto made the connection across the box to first-year midfielder Andrew Stevens, who found the right side of the net, earning the Lions their only goal of the afternoon.

Princeton challenged Castanheira twice more in the second period to finish the game with a total of five shots on target.

“We were pushing a lot of numbers up, and that kind of leaves you exposed,” Castanheira said.

In the final five seconds of the game, sophomore defender Blake Willis made the Light Blue’s final attempt to tie up the game but hit the post with his shot from the middle of the box.

Despite Columbia’s first Ivy League loss of the season, head coach Kevin Anderson is still optimistic for the rest of the Ivy season.

“I’m not worried,” Anderson said, “we can control our response to this and how it is that we prepare ourselves for recovery over the next few days to get ready for Friday night.”

The Lions will host Dartmouth at the Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium this Friday at 5 p.m.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports