Guglielmo Vedovotto / Columbia Daily Spectator

With an early goal from Dylan Mott and a second from Vana Markarian, the Lions stay one point short of Princeton with two games left in the Ivy League season.

After a 2-1 win at Yale on Saturday afternoon, men’s soccer stays in second place in the Ivy League.

Senior forward Kynan Rocks wasted no time against the Bulldogs (6-5-3, 1-2-2 Ivy), taking the first shot on goal for the Lions (8-4-1, 4-1-0 Ivy) in the second minute of the game. Senior midfielder Dylan Mott collected the rebound from Rocks’ shot and beat Yale goalkeeper Tom Wallenstein with a shot to the top right corner of the net, giving Columbia an early lead.

Just a few minutes later, Rocks kept up the Lions’ offense with their third shot on goal for the game in the fifth minute.

It wasn’t until the 38th minute that Yale challenged senior goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira, who saved an attempted header shot.

In the 41st minute, junior midfielder Vana Markarian found the net for Columbia a second time when he sent a header into the top right corner of the goal off of a free kick by sophomore defender Blake Willis, giving the Lions a 2-0 lead over the Bulldogs.

In the second half, the Bulldogs fought back. 67 minutes into the game, Yale midfielder Nicky Downs found the end of a cross and shot from the middle of the box to beat Castanheira and put Yale on the board, trailing 2-1.

Columbia currently sits below only Princeton in the Ivy League standings, each with four wins and Princeton with one extra point from a tie. Princeton, originally predicted to rank fourth in the Ivy League by the media, has yet to lose in the 2018 conference. Next weekend, Columbia hopes to get ahead as they travel to Harvard, which is on a six-game losing streak. The Tigers, on the other hand, will host Penn, which beat Brown on Sunday in double overtime.

Before then, the Lions will play Hofstra in their final nonconference match at the Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium this Tuesday at 7 p.m.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports