Lula O'Donnell / Columbia Daily Spectator

The Lions dropped to the bottom half of the Ivy League table with a loss against Yale but ended the weekend on a high note against Sacred Heart.

Field hockey lost on the road but won at home this weekend, falling to Yale on Saturday before topping Sacred Heart during Sunday’s matchup.

The Lions (8-8, 2-4 Ivy) battled Yale (9-7, 3-3 Ivy) into three overtime periods before losing 2-1 after a shootout. Yale held possession for the majority of the first half, getting off five shot attempts in the first six minutes. In the tenth minute, the Bulldogs attempted two penalty corners and four shots, but senior goalie Katie Dempsey kept them all out of the net.

After defending for most of the beginning of the game, Columbia ran the ball up the field to its attacking zone. In the twenty second minute, first-year midfielder Jaimie McCormick drove the ball into the net and put the Lions ahead 1-0.

After McCormick’s goal, Yale took control of the game again, firing six shots in two minutes. Dempsey, however, saved each of them to keep the Lions in the lead.

Five minutes before halftime, Columbia created a penalty corner opportunity but could not finish and increase its lead. The Lions entered the locker room ahead by one goal.

Three minutes into the second half, Yale scored on a penalty corner to tie the game 1-1. Immediately after, the Lions got off a shot attempt of their own but failed to convert. The game continued with back and forth play and roughly even possession. The second half ended with neither team breaking the tie.

After two scoreless periods of overtime, the two teams went began a shootout. All three Columbia players missed their shots, while two of the three Yale players found the back of the net, securing the win for the Bulldogs, 2-1.

On Sunday, the Lions returned to Baker Field for their match against Sacred Heart (8-11, 2-3 NEC).

“We came off a really tough loss against Yale,” head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols said.

“Today was about taking all the anxiety out, taking all the expectation, all the stress, [tossing] it out, and just [playing].”

The game started out with Sacred Heart in position, but the Lions quickly won the ball and rallied off a series of shots. Twenty three minutes into play, senior back Katherine Cavanaugh drove the ball into the net, bringing Columbia to a 1-0 lead. The team attempted six more shots before the end of the half, but scored on none of them. The half finished with the Lions up 1-0.

“The team was amped at halftime,” Nelson-Nichols said of the locker room atmosphere. “It was really all about fine-tuning a couple pieces—one piece with the press, one piece with defensive structure.”

Columbia began the second half with a strong attack presence, getting off three shot attempts in the first three minutes. After multiple close scoring opportunities, senior forward Danielle Buttinger trapped the ball in her stick, spun around a defender, and drove the ball into the net. Buttinger’s goal brought the Lions to a 2-0 lead.

Sacred Heart responded ten minutes later, making it a one goal game. Leading 2-1 with six minutes to go, Columbia continued pushing the ball up the field. The team created three shot attempts and a corner, successfully keeping the ball away from Sacred Hearts’ sticks.

The game ended with Columbia in possession. The Lions won 2-1, earning a win in their last home game of the season.

Field hockey will be back in action this Saturday in Cambridge, where they will face Harvard. Game time is set for 12 p.m.

dunia.habboosh@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports