Eliot Olson / Columbia Daily Spectator

Women's soccer is off to Cambridge this weekend with a chance to finish as high as second in the Ivy table.

Women’s soccer will head to Cambridge this weekend to face Harvard in its final match of the Ivy League season.

The Lions (8-6-1, 4-2 Ivy) currently sit at third place on the Ivy table with 12 points, one point behind second-place Princeton and four points behind first-place Penn. Harvard (6-7-1, 3-2-1 Ivy) is tied for fourth-place with 10 points.

After beating Yale on Saturday, the Lions will enter the match against the Crimson with a two-game winning streak against Ivy teams.

Columbia’s recent games against Dartmouth and Yale have demonstrated a change in the Lions’ strategy. While the Light Blue has been reactive for most of the season, playing aggressive second halves in an attempt to score the equalizer, it has been playing more proactively as of late, attacking early and scoring goals in the first half. The Lions will likely bring this winning tactic with them to their match against Harvard.

The Crimson, on the other hand, has struggled in recent weeks, falling to Princeton and Dartmouth in back-to-back losses. They should not be underestimated, however, as Harvard is the only Ivy team to not lose to Penn so far this season; the two teams played a scoreless match through two rounds of overtime.

The match against Harvard is crucial in determining Columbia’s final position on the Ivy table. A victory over the Crimson would yield three points for the Lions in the league standings, enough for them to overtake second-place Princeton in the event that the Tigers fall to or tie with first-place Penn this weekend.

The Lions finished last year’s season in second place as well, just two points behind the Tigers. If things shake out in the Lions’ favor, a repeat second-place finish could be in the cards.

Kickoff against Harvard in Cambridge is set for Saturday at 1 p.m.

madeline.covino@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Soccer Women's Soccer Columbia Lions