Senior midfielder Dylan Mott's two goals on Saturday leave the Lions one point behind Princeton with one more Ivy League game left in the season.

The Lions took home a 2-1 victory from Harvard on Saturday, with senior midfielder Dylan Mott earning his first brace of the season.

In the fifth minute of play, Mott connected on the end of a cross from first-year midfielder Sebastian Gunbeyi and found the top right corner of the goal to put the Lions (10-4-1, 5-1 Ivy) up 1-0. Harvard (3-12, 1-5 Ivy) followed up with a shot in the 29th minute that was saved by senior goalkeeper Dylan Castanheira. The Crimson managed to tie up the game with a successful penalty kick that passed Castanheira in the 35th minute.

For the remainder of the half, first-year midfielder Andrew Stevens had the only on-target attempt for the Lions, but Stevens’ effort was stopped by Harvard goalkeeper Matt Freese.

Columbia started off the second period offensively, with back-to-back attempts in the first minutes of the half by Gunbeyi and junior midfielder Vana Markarian. In the 51st minute, Mott found the back of the net for the second time on Saturday with a headed shot off a corner kick by sophomore defender Blake Willis, putting the Lions back in the lead, 2-1.

Tensions rose as the game neared its end, with three yellow cards—two for Harvard and one for Columbia’s Stevens—within 20 minutes of play. In the 84th minute, the Crimson made one final attempt to challenge the Lions, but could not beat Castanheira.

With this victory, Columbia remains second in the Ivy League. Princeton won its match against Penn this weekend, leaving it one point ahead of Columbia for the top spot. Next weekend marks the end of the 2018 Ivy League season, and if Princeton defeats Yale in New Haven on Saturday, the Tigers will win the league. If Princeton ties or loses, Columbia has the chance to share or win this year’s title.

The Lions will play their final match in the Ivy League against Cornell this Saturday at the Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium at 1 p.m., hoping to finish the season as Ivy League champions.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports