Kali Duffy / File Photo

In his third singles match of the weekend, sophomore Rian Pandole beat out Baylor’s Jimmy Bendeck 7-6, 6-1.

Updated Feb. 20, 2019 at 4:28 p.m.

Despite mixed results at the ITA Indoor Team Championship last weekend in Chicago, IL, men’s tennis returned home with its first top-10 win of the season.

The Light Blue, coming off an impressive victory against St. John’s during the second week of February, entered the weekend with a perfect 3-0 record. The ITA-ranked No. 12 team was unable to maintain its perfect record, however, winning against No. 9 Baylor and No. 11 Notre Dame but falling to No. 1 Wake Forest, bringing the Lions to a record of 5-1 on the season.

In doubles play, all three pairs were unable to top the Demon Deacons. Sophomore Jack Lin, fresh from an impressive rally at the New York Open last week, and junior Jackie Tang were unable to finish their match against Bar Botzer and Petros Chrysochos, leaving the score 4-2 in the first set. Senior William Matheson and junior Adam Ambrozy played out their match against Wake Forest’s Alan Gadjiev and Julian Zlobinsky, but, like senior Victor Pham and sophomore Rian Pandole in their own doubles contest, ultimately lost 3-6.

Pandole, however, was able to triumph in his three-round singles match against Zlobinsky, 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. Sophomore Austen Huang also showed his dominance on the court in his match against Wake Forest’s Yuval Solomon 6-4, 7-6.

The Lions were able to secure their first ranked win against their next competitor, No. 11 Notre Dame, tallying a final score of 4-2. The Lions captured a pair of doubles victories against the Fighting Irish, with Lin and Tang managing a 6-2 win against Richard Ciamarra and Tristan McCormick, mirrored by Pham and Pandole on court three facing Matt Gamble and Grayson Broadus.

On the singles court, Lin—ranked No. 11 by the ITA—faced No. 18 Alex Lebedev in a quick-paced two-set match. Lin easily took the first set 6-3, though he struggled in the second. Eventually he was able to cinch a 7-6 win, sealing the match.

No. 44 ranked Jackie Tang cruised through his match with Notre Dame’s Tristan McCormick 6-1, 6-2 in third court singles. Meanwhile, Austen Huang managed to replicate his success in his previous match against Wake Forest 6-4, 6-3.

In its third match at the ITA Indoor Team Championship, Columbia continued to prove itself as a dominant force on the court against No. 9 ranked Baylor, which it beat 4-1.

Jack Lin and Jackie Tang dominated in doubles 6-0 against Jimmy Bendeck and Sven Lah. Victor Pham and Rian Pandole found similar results facing Matias Soto and Adrian Boitan.

Here, too, the Lions tallied wins on the singles court. Lin pulled through against No. 29 Johannes Schretter 6-0, 6-3. Pham struggled through his first set 7-5, but found his footing in his second 6-2, granting him the point. Rian Pandole won out against the Bears’ Jimmy Bendeck 7-6, 6-1.

Men’s Tennis will host Northwestern on Sunday, Feb. 24 at the Dick Savitt Tennis Center.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Columbia beat Notre Dame with a final score of 8-3, rather than 4-2. Spectator regrets this error.

Staff writer Lizzie Karpen can be contacted at elizabeth.karpen@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Men's tennis ITA Indoor Team Championship Top-10 win