Diane Kim / Senior Staff Designer

Dear readers,

As the dust settles on a new semester, the add/drop craze several weeks since passed, we’d like to welcome you back to The Eye. Whether you’re a first-time reader or a longtime friend, we want to invite you this semester to take an active role in our work.

The Eye is Spectator’s weekly long-form magazine. We, as part of Spec, are financially independent from the University, and look to pursue rigorous investigative journalism that humanizes the issues we face on campus and in the local community. With a team of over 35 dedicated student journalists, we’ve covered the University’s failure to consistently follow its own hate crime and bias incident response protocols in the aftermath of several incidents last fall; how student leaders have grappled with sexual misconduct allegations within their groups; systemic harassment in Columbia’s graduate labs; the state of club exclusivity; and how Barnard can better help cultivate community for its first-generation and low-income students.

There are issues which remain at the forefront of our minds as we enter this semester: a sense of unease surrounding Public Safety after a black student was pinned against a Milstein counter in April; the Manhattanville expansion and how it continues to impact West Harlem residents; the unique challenges faced by students who don’t come from wealth at an institution where so many do.

But we’re writing this because we’d like to know what you, the reader, have on your mind. We know that in a university as large as this one, with a team as small as ours, there are stories we will inevitably miss. There are mistakes that we will inevitably make. There are pictures that we will capture only parts of.

So our invitation is twofold: First, tell us what issues matter to you, what injustices on campus you’d like to see us investigate, and any information you may have that can give us some direction. And second, let us know how we’re doing—push us to be better, critique our work, tell us what you’d like to see more of.

We’ve included a form below that goes directly to us and only to us. It is completely confidential, and all questions are optional, so you can choose how much or how little you want to tell us. If you do choose to include your name and contact information, we may be in touch.

Spread the word to help us reach as wide an audience as we can. Please share this form with anyone you know who feels strongly about our community—we do too, and we want to hear from them.

If you prefer to reach out over email rather than through the form, you’ll find our addresses included below. In the meantime, keep an eye out for our content, which will return in full swing next week.

Best,

Julian Shen-Berro, Managing Editor

julian.shen-berro@columbiaspectator.com

Candy Chan, Features Editor

candy.chan@columbiaspectator.com

Gavrielle Jacobovitz, Lead Story Editor

gavrielle.jacobovitz@columbiaspectator.com

the eye magazine tips