Dear Reader,

As the semester stumbles toward its end, here at The Eye, we are so happy to share a few awesome articles from this week!

In this week’s cover story, Cole Cahill tackles the evolving situation with graduate workers’ housing. When rent payments are due this June, some graduate students in University housing will not be able to foot the bill. Over 600 students have signed Columbia People’s COVID Response’s petition demanding that Columbia Facilities cancel summer rent, and some graduate workers will begin striking this Friday. Landlords across New York City are waiving rents in the wake of the medical and economic crisis, yet Columbia Residential will not provide rent relief in the same way for students, despite a striking similarity between typical New York and graduate student contracts. The consequences of missing rent threaten students’ academic standing, leaving many questioning what this means for their futures.

Also in this issue, Claudia Gohn writes about online classes—those that were originally intended to be online. While online classes have always dealt with both advantages and disadvantages related to office hours, the classroom, and social life, they now deal with the added stress of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

That’s all for now!

Handwashers,

Eve and Claudia