Aliya Schneider

Dear readers,

Welcome to Volume XXX of The Eye, Spectator’s long-form magazine.

After a very long 2020, the new year has never felt so welcome. Here at The Eye, the start of 2021 marks so much more than simply a fresh start, but a celebration of our history as we embark on our 30th volume, take on new roles on our editorial team, and enter a new semester. While we are still largely remote, this semester has brought more of the student body home to Morningside Heights. With all this change, we took some time to reflect on what we hope to achieve as a magazine. As we step into the new year, we want to share our mission with you:

The Eye produces human-centered journalism that provides meaningful context and accountability and amplifies the voices, stories, and systems that define the Columbia and Morningside Heights community. The Eye is also a space for Columbia students to learn the skills to produce narrative and long-form journalistic writing, grow professionally, and build a community with other writers.

As the semester progresses, we aim to bring this mission to life, starting with our first issue.

In the first issue of the semester, Lead Story Editor Cole Cahill takes a close look at the bargaining process between the University and graduate workers, which has dragged on for nearly two years. While each side has made progress on some proposals, many of the most crucial issues, including health care and sexual harassment recourse procedures, remain at a standstill. It is still unclear what it will take to reach an agreement.

Spectator’s Managing Editor Elizabeth Karpen writes a View From Here about Jack Kerouac’s On the Road, reflecting on her personal growth since she first read the novel and what that growth means for her today.

View From Here Editor Teresa Lawlor writes about her experience with musical theater, and how one mistake helped fuel her perfectionism. While in quarantine, she has taken up the cello, which she may not be perfect at, but she’s come to terms with that.

Wick Hallos, a staff writer from Spectator’s sports section, writes an Eyesight about Columbia’s fight song, and how the lines of “Roar, Lion, Roar” reflect the flaws and faults of the University, both now and at the song’s conception 101 years ago.

If you haven’t already, we encourage you to visit Spectator’s Back to Campus edition, which features past content from The Eye.

We hope you enjoy our first issue!

Best,

Claudia Gohn, Managing Editor of The Eye

Cole Cahill, Lead Story Editor

Jade Justice, Features Editor

Briani Netzahuatl, Features Editor