Brenda Huang / Senior Staff Illustrator

Dear Readers,

Welcome to the sixth issue of Volume XXX of The Eye. As we approach the end of the semester, it feels like a degree of normalcy is beginning to kick in: the weather is allowing for outdoor activities and vaccine cards abound on Instagram stories. But as the world starts seeming slightly more typical, we are also facing an all-too-familiar overload of tragedies; last we checked, there were at least 20 mass shootings in the past two weeks, including one that targeted Asian American women in Atlanta, Georgia.

In this week’s cover story, Associate Features Editor Cheryn Hong dives into the reflections and worries facing members of the Asian, Asian American, and Pacific Islander community at Columbia in the wake of the Atlanta Spa shooting as hate crimes against Asian Americans continue to increase nationwide. While the country as a whole appeared to be shocked by the violence, many Asian Americans share that they were not, citing the United States’ long history of anti-Asian racism and their personal experiences.

Closer to campus, the Graduate Workers of Columbia University-United Auto Workers marked their third week since the vast majority of graduate instructors and teaching assistants held classes or graded assignments. We have covered the union’s labor organizing and bargaining process closely over the past few years, but this issue includes a far more personal perspective on the power structures that govern the lives of graduate students. In her View From Here, doctoral candidate Margaret Scarborough tells her story of coming to Columbia to study medieval love poetry, but soon focuses her energy toward the power structures that govern institutions such as our own. In her experiences of mistreatment from superiors, she was motivated—radicalized, even—to transform graduate students’ relationship with the University.

Finally, Staff Writer Veena Dinavahi shares what it feels like to be caught between generations, taking classes at the School of General Studies while raising three children in the Connecticut suburbs. “My Barnard friend asks me if I know what the difference is between an Uber and an UberX,” she writes. “My daughter asks me: How hot is fire?”

As always, thank you for reading!

Sincerely,

Cole Cahill, Lead Story Editor

Briani Netzahuatl, Features Editor

Jade Justice, Features Editor