Arielle Shternfeld / Senior Staff Photographer

Liz's Place reopens, redesigned, renovated, and reimagined to offer a new variety of coffees, beverages, and food items.

Liz’s Place has opened its doors again after a summer of renovations, and though it reopens under the same name, the café has transformed its offerings in accordance with Barnard’s change in food provider from Aramark to Chartwells.

Its biggest alteration: the decision to no longer be a “We Proudly Brew Starbucks” café. The favorite haunt will now serve local coffee roasters Café Integral and Partners Coffee, based in Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, respectively.

Café Integral is a national chain that serves coffee grown in Nicaragua and roasted locally in New York City. Partners Coffee is a high-quality shop with similarly locally-sourced offerings, with locations in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn. Both have been chosen by Chartwells for their sustainable products and the company’s local entrepreneurial backgrounds.

Liz’s Place has expanded its offerings beyond the standard latté or mocha to include nitro cold brew on tap and matcha-based beverages. Additionally, the café now offers a revamped variety of fresh pastries, bagels, muffins, and desserts, as well as a line of grab-and-go snacks, salads, and sandwiches, which include Kosher, vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options.

A new self-checkout service is now available at Liz’s Place, a payment system also recently integrated at other Barnard Dining locations, including Peet’s Coffee. A variety of pre-packaged meals and snacks, as well as convenience store staples, are available through the service, which is particularly useful for students in a hurry.

Students can continue to use meal swipes at Liz’s Place. The café’s new variety of bakery items are included, as well as grab-and-go sandwiches, salads, and Bubly seltzer.

The café also offers a 15 percent discount on drip coffee when a student brings a reusable mug, furthering its commitment to sustainability.

Liz’s Place will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays.

Deputy editor Sarah Robertson can be contacted at sarah.robertson@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Liz's Place Barnard Dining Café Integral Partners Coffee Columbia Dining Food Café dining hall