Lexi Weber / Letter from the Editors

We want to hear from you.

We know there are other ways to voice your opinions—through essays, papers, perhaps even through protest. Here at Spectator, however, we provide you with a unique opportunity: a bimonthly platform to publish your thoughts for an entire semester.

And honestly as editors, we have nothing to do with it. This is your voice.

Whether you are a columnist or Discourse & Debate contributor, our Spectator writers bring the pages of our paper to life and give voice to the conversations occurring in our classrooms, our social circles, our dining halls, and our everyday interactions with our community. As a contributor, this is your chance to articulate the inner turmoil that many of us feel on this campus or share some of the joys you experience throughout your semester.

As we said before, writing at Spectator has far less to do with us as much as it has to do with you. We may provide the column space, but the decision of what to do with that space is yours. You can write about where you came from and where you’re going. The conversations you start in your EC suite could continue on our pages. Your voice could be the one shedding light on sexual assault, mental health, sexuality, sexism in the workplace, battling eating disorders, and class—or your classes. You could tackle the biggest issues or look critically at the small ones. Or you could just call out every person at 1020 who’s ever mooched off your juul.

Our contributors have tackled a lot of issues over the course of our time at Spec, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a million more. We know that there are perspectives we’ve missed and voices we’ve left out. And this semester we hope that you’ll help initiate new conversations. Though it may be difficult at times, your writing could lead to tangible change on this campus.

You can apply to be a contributor here.

Applications are due on Jan. 28 at MIDNIGHT. If you have any questions or comments related to the application process, please don’t hesitate to send us an email at opinion@columbiaspectator.com.

We’re excited for you to join us.

With love,

Erin Neil and Kaili Meier

Editorial Page Editors

application columns discourse & debate contribute juuling