Lola Lafia / Staff Photographer

Both Columbia and Barnard have announced that facilities and dormitories on campus will remain open for the rest of the semester.

Updated March 15th at 11:55 a.m.

Columbia and Barnard and moved all course instruction online for the remainder of the semester, and many students have now evacuated campus to return home for the spring. With new updates coming in every day to a community that now spreads across multiple countries, Spectator has compiled all the vital information and news updates regarding the University’s response to the coronavirus outbreak. Here’s what you need to know if you’re moving out for the semester.

Housing and accomodations

Columbia students who have not indicated that they will be staying on campus must evacuate by Tuesday, March 17, after which they will lose access to their dormitories. This update, announced Sunday morning, is an earlier deadline than the previously date of March 30, which still remains the deadline for Barnard students. Students at the School of General Studies will not be required to move out of their housing.

For students who elect to evacuate their housing, First-Year Dining Plan refunds will be pro-rated according to the date of check out from Housing. Voluntary meal plan refunds will be issued for all unused meals. Students will receive this credit on their Student Account Statement. Students who received financial aid will have their aid reduced as a result of these charges.

All Columbia College and SEAS students must fill out this housing status form by March 17 if they choose to move out of housing. Barnard students must fill out this housing response form by March 16 at 5 p.m.

If you have belongings in your dorm and are unable return form them before the move in deadline:

For students who still have belongings in their rooms and are unable to return before the Tuesday deadline, they must still evacuate their rooms with the help of moving services. Columbia is working closely with Hudson Storage and Manhattan Mini Storage to help pack and store belongings; housing will facilitate access to dorm rooms. Columbia will cover these packing costs.

There will be no access to dorms for students who have not requested to stay on campus after March 17 at 11:59 p.m.

Students facing financial hardship in evacuating the campus can apply for stipends from Barnard and Columbia to help cover transportation costs. Barnard students on need-based financial aid should fill out this form by March 15 and contact Director of Financial Aid Nanette DiLauro to coordinate assistance. Columbia undergraduates should fill out this form by March 20 at 5 p.m. to apply for up to $500 in funding to cover transportation, storage, and moving costs. Students in Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science who are receiving financial aid or have other financial hardships can contact cc-seas@columbia.edu to help with financing.

If you would like to remain on campus:

Housing exceptions will be made only for students who meet certain criteria: those who face travel restrictions to their home country, have safety issues at home or in their home country, face restrictions related to visas (applicable only to international students), have compromised immune systems that prevent travel, or deal with housing insecurity.

Columbia students who wish to stay on campus must fill out an emergency housing form by Sunday, March 15 at 2 p.m.; at Barnard, the form must be completed by Monday, March 16 at 5 p.m. At both campuses, students who completely check out will receive prorated refunds for housing and meal plans. Students who have indicated that they are staying on campus will be subject to the move-out dates at the end of the semester in May. They will not receive any refund for housing or dining.

More information about housing for students in Columbia College and SEAS and at Barnard can be found in the dedicated housing FAQs.

Work-study and financial aid

Columbia students on both college and federal work-study will continue to receive compensation at their current pay rate until May 15. Students will be compensated up to their work-study award and based on their regular hours. Further information can be acquired through departmental supervisors.

Barnard will continue to pay work-study if students are able to find remote work within their current roles. For students whose supervisors do not have remote opportunities, they can send emails requesting reassignment to Beyond Barnard at beyondbarnard@barnard.edu. Priority will be given to students on Federal Work Study or who have a Barnard College Job as part of their financial aid package. Students who do not wish to work for the remainder of the semester are requested to inform their supervisor as soon as possible.

First-Year Dining Plan refunds will be pro-rated according to the date of check out from Housing. Voluntary meal plan refunds will be issued for all unused meals. Students will receive this credit on their Student Account Statement. Students who received financial aid will have their aid reduced as a result of these charges. Refunds are taxable under federal regulations.

coronavirus COVID-19 housing