Tiffany Dimm is a sophomore at Columbia College majoring in English. She grew up in the cornfields of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where the Amish had long beards and didn’t drive cars before it was cool. She’s involved with Student-Worker Solidarity and Columbia Divest for Climate Justice. One time she ate an entire box of mochi ice cream in one sitting, which she considers among her most defining accomplishments. A Buzzfeed quiz once told her that her French food personality is a macaron. If you’re looking for her, she’s probably run off to the nearest woods to chase butterflies and frolic in nature.

JEREMY MACK

Read More
By TIFFANY DIMM
Lucy Wang / Staff Illustrator

Discourse & Debate: Meet Spectator’s fall 2018 Discourse & Debate contributors

Photos by Arielle Shternfeld / Columbia Daily Spectator

Jeremy Mack is a first-year English major at the School of General Studies. He is a proud graduate of Monroe Community College in Rochester, New York—the town in which he was born and raised. He prefers to keep to himself, but, truth be told, he is more of an indoor cat than a lone wolf. His hobbies and pastimes are the usual boring pap that everyone does, but since his bio must be at least one hundred words, he will list some of them here: cycling, flossing after meals, watching television, reading books (picture and chapter), and listening to music.

JIMMY QUINN

Read More
By JEREMY MACK

Jimmy Quinn is a junior in the School of General Studies majoring in political science. He spent two years at Sciences Po in France, where he studied social sciences and was editor of the campus newspaper. In his spare time he likes to regale his friends with nonsensical stories that lack clear endings, but you might also find him on the bouldering wall. His pet peeve is large groups of slow people blocking the sidewalk. Reach him at jtq2104@columbia.edu if you also miss Nuss or just want to send him hate mail. He tweets at @realjimmyquinn.

TOVA RICARDO

Read More
By JIMMY QUINN

Tova Ricardo is a sophomore in Columbia College studying English and sociology. Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, Ricardo is an original Golden State Warriors fan and honors the history of social activism in her communities. In the Office of Multicultural Affairs, she is a second-year board member on the Queer and Trans Advisory Board. She is the co-event planner and historian for the Barnard Writing Collective and was a member of the 2017-2018 Columbia/Barnard Poetry Slam Team. Ricardo is an avid reader of Langston Hughes, can be found studying in the Kraft Center, and loves taking walks through uptown New York City.

UFON UMANAH

Read More
By TOVA RICARDO

If you see someone speaking in tongues at 11 p.m. on College Walk, jumping from constitutional law to Israel/Palestine to the next controversial speaker every five minutes or so, it’s probably Ufon, so say hi. A warning: As the investigations editor for the Blue and White and the mind behind the Jotting Jay, he is obligated to ask your opinion on the latest Columbia scandal, so if you have class or homework or a job to get to, stay away. You can also see him at many political club meetings, probably stewing on a bad point made 15 minutes ago. It could have been socialist or conservative—it was still a bad point.

Read More
By UFON UMANAH

To respond to this installment of Discourse & Debate, or to submit an op-ed, contact opinion@columbiaspectator.com.