Lila Gaffney / 144th Editorial Board

Spectator’s mission is to positively impact our community by shining a light on the actions of powerful institutions and holding them accountable. We, the 144th editorial board, aim to do so by using our collective voice to direct discourse around issues that will better inform our audience about their experiences with Columbia.

Our voices and experiences, however, are just a few of the many that exist within this community. We hope to listen closely to our peers, local residents, administrators, and all those who engage with the University to better understand what issues matter and what stories must urgently be shared. In order to do so effectively, it is imperative that we hear from you. If there is a viewpoint or story we are missing, please let us know.

We look forward to starting the conversation with you.

Author Image

Karen Xia is a junior at Columbia College studying economics-philosophy. A native of northern California, she much prefers the bustling warmth of coffee shops in New York. Outside of Spectator, her hobbies include listening to low-quality electro-pop while compulsively refreshing Twitter and reading short story anthologies. At Spectator, Karen is the president and editor in chief of the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Shubham Saharan is a sophomore at Barnard College studying economics and Middle Eastern and South Asian history. Hailing from central New Jersey (yes, it is a thing), she stands by the fact that her home state has the best bagels. When she’s not holed up in Joe’s coffee, you can find her hunting for the next best local restaurant or engaging in divisive discourse on a book she swears she’ll get to at some point. At Spectator, Shubham is the vice president and managing editor of the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Isabel Jauregui is a junior at Barnard College studying economics on the political economy track. When she’s not daydreaming about being back in California, she’s probably in line for a Diana sandwich. She’s passionate about Spec’s Instagram stories and loves a good GIF. At Spectator, Isabel is the publisher for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Valeria Escobar is a Columbia College sophomore studying [redacted] from Arlington, TX, the home she will rep until she dies (817 !!!). She has read one (1) complete book during her first year and is running low on ways to apply it toward feminist critique essays. At this moment she is thinking about either Drake’s plot inconsistencies in HoustAtlantaVegas, or capitalism. She overthinks, but she won’t stop anytime soon because she is usually on point. At Spectator, Val is the news editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Stephanie Lai is a junior at Columbia College studying political science. Coming from sunny California, she still has not learned she needs proper winter clothing and is probably wearing five layers. When she’s not tracking down city officials or scanning through legal documents, you can find her tumbling with Columbia’s cheer team. At Spectator, Stephanie is the city news editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Tamarah Wallace is a sophomore at Columbia College, majoring in political science and human rights-economics. She hails from the swamp that is South Florida and is a self-proclaimed Chipotle Connoisseur—she believes it is the perfect business model and is aware of the E. coli scares. When she isn’t at Chipotle, she can be found at some type of Community Impact meeting. At Spectator, Tamarah is the editorial page editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Lizzie Karpen is a sophomore at Barnard College majoring in political science and English with a concentration in film. As a native New Yorker, she will go down saying New York is the pizza capital of the world. When not writing athletics coverage at Spec, she’s usually at Model UN practice. You can also find her putting her Top Fan Columbia Confessions badge to good use as she defends the honor of Spec Sports. At Spectator, Lizzie is the sports editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Eve Washington is a sophomore at Columbia College majoring in data science. Originally from metro Detroit, Eve can be seen displaying “midwestern niceness” while she squeezes past you in John Jay before eating breakfast at 12:30 p.m. When not at 120th and Claremont, Eve can be found at a National Society of Black Engineers meeting, pulling together an RA event in the LLC, writing Eyesights, or rejoicing at the helpfulness of Slader. At Spectator, Eve is the managing editor of The Eye for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Abby Rooney is a sophomore at Columbia College majoring in English and concentrating in being indecisive. She hails from Chicago, the heavenly land of deep dish pizza (you lose, New York). A theater kid at heart, Abby spends her free time being dramatic. She also writes songs and plays. All things considered, she’s pretty chill. At Spectator, Abby is the arts & entertainment editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Sarah Braka is a sophomore at the School of Engineering and Applied Science studying chemical engineering. She hails from the New Jersey village of South Orange, which is neither to the south nor known for its oranges. Sarah is currently on a mission to make her résumé as confusing as possible; if she’s not working on a problem set or editing someone’s grammar, you can find her choreographing for Columbia UnTapped or talking about her civics internship this summer. At Spectator, Sarah is the head copy editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Raeedah Wahid is a sophomore at Barnard College studying computer science and human rights. Though she’s from New Jersey, she has never been to a Wawa. Raeedah spends her free time religiously scrolling through @NJGov tweets. @NJGov please follow her back. At Spectator, Raeedah serves as the graphics editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Helen Yang is a sophomore at Columbia College majoring in mathematics-statistics with a computer science concentration. She’s from New Jersey and decided to go to school in a city not not because she didn’t want to learn how to drive. Her favorite things to do include painting, watching random documentaries, and talking about how much she loves her Wien sink. At Spectator, Helen is the illustrations editor for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Sarah Peters is a sophomore at Barnard College majoring in economics. A native of northeast Tennessee, Sarah misses eating Waffle House and Dairy Queen far too often but can be found on the sixth floor of Butler watching SEC football or Silicon Valley when it’s offseason. At Spectator, Sarah is the revenue director for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

David Wang is a sophomore at Columbia College studying biology and computer science. Although a proud San Diegan and a fan of winding roads, he appreciates the subway: especially the 2 express train. At Spectator, David is head of product for the 144th managing board.

Author Image

Carl Dobrović is a Columbia College junior studying computer science. He grew up outside of D.C. and is a Croatian-American dual citizen. He loves watching and making movies, chilling with his brother, and engaging in enlightening conversations over late-night JJ’s. At Spectator, Carl is the head of engineering for the 144th managing board.

Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Photos by Lila Gaffney / Deputy Photo Editor.

staff editorial managing board editorial board