Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Women's soccer shut out both of its weekend opponents to the tune of a combined 7-0 scoreline.

Women’s soccer hosted Stony Brook and Sacred Heart this weekend, winning both matches in decisive shutouts.

The weekend kicked off on Friday as the Lions faced off against Stony Brook (2-5-0). First-year goalie Juliet Allen made the first start of her collegiate career in the first period, though the Lions’ strong defensive prevented the Seawolves from attempting a shot on goal throughout the first half. In the 27th minute, junior forward Rachel Alexander scored an early goal for the Lions, her second of the season, with an assist from senior defender Natalie Ambrose.

Junior goalie Sophie Whitehouse took over for Allen in the second period, making a total of six saves. Four of those saves took place in the span of just seven minutes as the Seawolves attempted unsuccessfully to even the score as the game drew to a close.

Senior forward Natalie Neshat, the leading scorer for the Lions, scored her third goal of the season in the 65th minute, rebounding off of her own attempt after a brief scramble in the box and upping the score to 2-0 for Columbia’s second win of the season.

That positive momentum continued into Sunday when the Lions faced off against Sacred Heart (2-5-0) for another decisive win.

The Lions started strong when Neshat scored early in the first period. Three consecutive saves by Whitehouse kept the score at 1-0 at halftime. The Lions stayed dominant in the second half, when the Light Blue offensive outshot the Pioneers 17-3, while the defensive end held them to a season low of six shots in the game.

In the 48th minute, first-year Cayla Davis scored the first goal of her collegiate career with an assist from junior forward Amaris Hemmings. In the 57th and 60th minute, junior forward Emma Anderson, the leading scorer for the Lions in 2016, scored two consecutive goals.

Minutes later, the Pioneers sealed their fate with an own goal, bringing the score to 5-0 for the Lions’ second shutout of the weekend.

Next weekend the Lions will head to the Bronx on Friday to face off against Fordham before heading to Philadelphia to play St. Joseph’s on Sunday for the last two games before Ivy play begins.

ishya.verma@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports