Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Women's soccer struggled in two road losses this weekend.

Despite building strong momentum in decisive victories against Stony Brook and Sacred Heart earlier this month, women’s soccer dropped two road matches this weekend. The Lions fell to Fordham 2-0 on Friday and to St. Joseph’s 3-2 in overtime on Sunday.

The Lions kicked off the weekend in the Bronx against Fordham (3-2-3). Fordham midfielder Carlie Wagner scored in the 13th minute to bring the score to 1-0, where it remained until she scored again in the 63rd minute. This ensured Fordham’s first win in nearly a month and their first home victory this season. The Lions were shut out by a strong Ram defense that allowed only four shots on goal throughout the match. Nevertheless, the Lions still lead the overall record against Fordham 10-7-0.

On Sunday in Philadelphia, the Lions opened play against St. Joseph’s (5-2-1) with an aggressive offense, including three shots on goal by senior forward Natalie Neshat within the first 15 minutes. Despite this, the Hawks pulled ahead early in the first half.

In the 31st minute, St. Joseph’s midfielder Taylor Ryan headed the ball into the net off of a corner kick for the Hawk’s first goal. Almost immediately afterwards, Lions goalie Sophie Whitehouse left the box, leading to an open-net goal by SJU forward Morgan Bower in the 32nd minute that put the Hawks ahead 2-0 in the first half.

Neshat, the top scorer for the Lions, found the back of the net for the fifth time this season in the 51st minute with her fourth shot on goal of the game. Junior forward Emma Anderson scored minutes later with a shot from the top left box to tie the game at two goals apiece. The Lions’ offense continued to dominate in the second half, with 11 shots to SJU’s four, but neither team could pull ahead. Just seconds into overtime, SJU forward Gabrielle Vagnozzi scored to lead the Hawks to a 3-2 victory.

Next weekend, the Lions will head upstate to Ithaca to begin Ivy play against Cornell before returning home to face off against Wagner.

ishya.verma@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports