Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photogarpher

The Lions ended Brown’s five-game win streak on Saturday, bringing their Ivy record to 2-0.

Women’s soccer defeated Brown 1-0 in overtime with a goal from senior forward Natalie Neshat in the 99th minute.

With the win over the Bears (8-3-0, 1-1-0 Ivy), the Lions (6-4-1, 2-0-0 Ivy) began their season 2-0 in the Ivy League for the first time since 2012.

Two saves by junior goalie Sophie Whitehouse within the first eight minutes launched what would be a strong defensive showing by the Lions throughout the match. Despite the equally strong offensive effort, including six shots on goal by junior forward and Ivy League and NCAA Player of the Week Emma Anderson and a header by senior midfielder Caroline Militello, the game remained scoreless heading into the second period.

Whitehouse made another two saves in the first few minutes of the second half and the Lions continued to limit the Bears’ opportunities to shoot, allowing only five shots on goal to Columbia’s 10. The intensity of the offense picked up on both sides as the match drew to a close, and the game mirrored the last face-off between the Bears and the Lions in 2016, which remained scoreless until Anderson found the back of the net for the Lions in the 89th minute.

This time, the match spilled into overtime and Neshat was the one to score, assisted by senior defender Natalie Ambrose. The goal, Neshat’s eighth of the season, makes her the top scorer for the Lions, followed closely by Anderson with seven goals. The game broke the Bears’ five-game winning streak and cemented the Lions’ fifth shutout of the season.

Next weekend, the Lions host Penn (2-5-3, 1-0-1 Ivy) on Friday before facing off against Lafayette (3-5-2) on Monday in Easton, Pennsylvania.

ishya.verma@columbiaspectator.com| @CUSpecSports

sports Columbia athletics women's soccer soccer