Benjamin Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

The Lions have shut out all five Ivy competitors faced so far this fall.

Women’s soccer secured its fifth consecutive shutout win against Princeton to remain unbeaten in Ivy play and move to the top of the league rankings.

While last week’s game against Penn went into double overtime before the Lions secured a 1-0 victory, scoring opportunities came early and often for the Lions on Saturday. The Light Blue (8-4-1, 4-0 Ivy) took the lead against Princeton (11-2, 3-1 Ivy) within minutes as senior forward Natalie Neshat scored off a rebound with an assist from junior forward Amaris Hemmings.

In the 10th minute, sophomore forward Emily Koe scored off the rebound of a thwarted attempt by Hennings, bringing the score to 2-0.

Princeton stars Abby Givens and Courtney O’Brien attempted to even the score with a flurry of shots in the 12th minute, but the Lions’ defense held strong and the Tigers ended the first half scoreless. Due to the efforts of junior goalie Sophie Whitehouse, who tallied 8 saves, Princeton failed to reach the back of the net for the rest of the game.

“The team is really excited to get out there,” head coach Tracey Bartholomew said before the match. “It’s such an important Ivy matchup and right now obviously … we’re an underdog in this situation.”

The Tigers, ranked 11th and coming off a five game winning streak, were unbeaten in Ivy play until Saturday, and had tallied nine9 shutouts this season. The Lions, while also unbeaten in Ivy play, had a rockier start to the season.

Nevertheless, the Lions appeared dominant throughout this weekend’s game. While they took fewer shots, 12 to the Tigers’ 21, a higher percentage landed on target, and a consistently strong defense minimized scoring opportunities for the Tigers.

The Lions will seek to maintain their unbeaten Ivy record against Dartmouth next Saturday in Hanover.

ishya.verma@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

columbia athletics women's soccer soccer