Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Field hockey split its weekend contests but couldn't pick up a crucial Ivy League win.

Field hockey bounced back with a 4-0 victory against Lehigh after a 3-2 overtime loss to Dartmouth this weekend.

Columbia (8-7, 3-2 Ivy) entered this weekend confident in its fate against Ivy League opponents and looking to pick up a fourth conference win against Dartmouth (6-8, 2-3 Ivy). Unfortunately, the Lions fell just short, losing to the Big Green in overtime 3-2.

“Yesterday again we just didn’t finish the opportunities we had,” said head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols. “And we opened up too many of the opportunities for Dartmouth.”

The Lions jumped on the board quickly, scoring their first goal in the 12th minute when senior midfielder Michelle Thompson beat the keeper with a rebound directly following a Columbia corner. Similarly, junior forward Danielle Buttinger put the Lions up two with a tip that found the back of the net off a Columbia corner in the 25th minute. Senior back Maeve Doherty, who leads the team in points, assisted on both goals scored.

However, the Lions’ offense was stifled by Dartmouth goalkeeper Hailey Valerio, who charted a total of 13 saves, seven of which came in the first half.

Despite its disappointing loss on Saturday, the Light Blue came out firing in its second game of the weekend, beginning with sophomore midfielder Lindsay Ladas’ rebound into the back of the net in the fifth minute against Lehigh.

The Lions found a similar burst in the second half, beating Lehigh’s goalkeeper in the 39th and 45th minutes. Doherty found the back of the net for the 10th time this season on an unassisted rifle off of a rebound in the 39th minute. Meanwhile, senior midfielder Lauren Crane netted her third goal of the season in the 45th minute with a quick shot from the top of the circle.

Columbia displayed an energized attack on goal and well-orchestrated passing against Lehigh. However, it was the Lions’ defense that held toughest against a relentless Lehigh attack, charting just its third shutout of the season despite only three saves from junior goalkeeper Katie Dempsey.

“Lehigh is the same [as Dartmouth]—they’re kind of a little bit scrappy in their play,” Doherty said. “We had to buckle down on defense in order to kind of absorb the energy that they were bringing.”

Columbia will next face Yale at home on Saturday. The game is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports