Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Men's swimming and diving will head back to Princeton for the second weekend in a row, this time for a head-to-head matchup with the Tigers.

For the second weekend in a row, men’s swimming and diving will compete at DeNunzio Pool in Princeton, facing the Tigers (5-2, 4-0 Ivy) in a dual meet for their final contest of 2017.

At last weekend’s Big Al Invitational in Princeton, the Lions finished third out of eight teams, while Princeton took first place. But in their last head-to-head meet, which concluded the 2016-17 season, the Tigers lost to Columbia (3-1, 2-1 Ivy) 167.5-132.5. The Tigers’ season was cut short after they were suspended for vulgar materials emailed through the team’s listserv.

This year, the Tigers should prove to be a challenge for the Lions, as both teams are reasonably well-matched in talent.

“On paper the [Princeton] meet should be a very close and exciting meet,” head coach Jim Bolster said. “They have, for years, been one of the more talented teams in the league and I think we have a really good shot at beating them.”

With a prominent senior class—including wildcard swimmers Zach Buerger and Corey Okubo and sprinters Ben Schafer and Alex Lewis—the Tigers will be a force to be reckoned with in the relay events and on the diving board.

For the Light Blue, first-year diver Jonathan Suckow remains undefeated in both the one-meter and three-meter events and senior Jayden Pantel is expected to return to competition this weekend.

In the pool, Senior Michal Zyla looks to continue his dominance in the 200 backstroke while first-year Albert Gwo hopes to prolong a successful debut in his collegiate career in the relays and sprint freestyle events.

Bolster looks forward to seeing how his Lions will fare against an experienced Princeton squad.

“Their relays will be good,” Bolster said. “It’s their pool. It’s their senior day so they have a lot of things that they’ll be looking forward to and I think there’ll be a pretty good crowd. I relish those sorts of challenges.”

The Light Blue will travel to New Jersey to compete this Saturday, Dec. 9 at 1:00 p.m.

chapman.hughes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports