Kali Duffy / Senior Staff Photographer

Men's swimming and diving could not keep pace with undefeated Princeton this weekend.

Men’s swimming and diving lost to undefeated Princeton in the team’s last competition of 2017. The Lions have faced a tough schedule thus far in the season and will look to improve their record when they resume competition in mid-January.

The Light Blue (3-2, 2-2 Ivy) started out strong with a first- and second-place finish from first-year diver Jonathan Suckow and senior diver Jayden Pantel with scores of 398.45 and 360.75, respectively. The Lions also took home the gold in the 200-meter medley relay after sophomore Cole Stevens, senior Jace Ng, senior Kevin Frifeldt, and first-year Albert Gwo clocked in at 1:29:22.

Sophomore Nian-Guo Liu kept the Lions in it by sweeping the 200-meter freestyle with a time of 1:38:13, finishing almost a full two seconds in front of the second-place finisher, but the tide of the meet quickly turned in Princeton’s favor.

Liu also won the 100-meter freestyle with a 44.60 and Gwo came in second with a 45.24, but the Light Blue continued to struggle in both butterfly events. Meanwhile, Ng, who has grown accustomed to gold-medal finishes in the 100-meter breaststroke, finished fourth.

Only winning seven of 16 events, the Lions quickly fell behind the Tigers (6-2, 5-0 Ivy) and could not regain their lead.

Princeton kept its hopes for an undefeated season alive and finished off the meet by winning the 400-meter freestyle relay.

The Lions will return to action for a two-meet weekend beginning at Uris Pool against Cornell on Jan. 13 at 2 p.m. and culminating in Lewisburg with a meet against Bucknell at 1 p.m. on the following day.

chapman.hughes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Men's swimming and diving Swimming and diving Columbia Lions