Maryam Hassan / Staff Photographer

The Lions will compete for the first time since December's Columbia Invitational.

Fencing is set to compete in its first meet of the new year at the Penn State Invitational, where it will face many of the country’s strongest teams.

At this year’s event, the Lions will take to the strip against a slew of highly competitive schools, including Duke, North Carolina, and host Penn State. The Lions will also have a chance to face conference foes Penn and Yale in anticipation of next month’s Ivy League Championships.

The women’s team will also play Temple, a top 20 finisher at last year’s NCAA Championships, while the men’s squad is set to compete against Haverford.

The Penn State Invitational has traditionally been a strong event for Columbia fencing, with the team posting an overall 29-5 record over the past three seasons. During last year’s event, the squad compiled a dominant 11-1 result, with the team’s only loss coming against Penn State’s men’s team.

The Light Blue most recently competed at last month’s Columbia Invitational, where the squad went 6-0 for the second year in a row at this competition. The team will look to build on this success as it begins to face more Ivy League teams.

Play at the Penn State Invitational will begin on Sunday at 8:30 a.m. at University Park, Pennsylvania.

Columbia Lions Fencing