File Photo / Ben Goldsmith

Despite several bright spots for Columbia in this weekend's meet, the Lions fell to Brown by six points, leaving them in sixth place in the conference.

Women’s swimming and diving lost to Brown this weekend in a close conference battle, 153-147.

The Lions (1-5, 1-5 Ivy) were on the road for the first time in 2018, following a win at home against Cornell just a week prior. Against the Bears (4-3, 3-3 Ivy), Columbia started with a win in the 200-yard medley relay, featuring the team of sophomore Julia Samson, junior Jessica Antiles, first-year Susie Zhu, and senior Kate O’Rourke. Soon after, sophomore Clare MacNamara won the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:15.20.

First-year Jordan Ashmore notched a win in the 100-yard backstroke, followed by first- and second-place finishes in the 100-yard breaststroke by first-year Eva Crouse and Antiles. In the 200-yard butterfly, first-year Jessica He finished a full second ahead of her opponent at 2:03.51. The Bears then took the top finishes in the next four events, before senior Nicole Papsco and first-year Stefanie Ting took the top two spots in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Crouse secured another first-place finish in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 55.94 with He, who followed in second place with a time of 56.10, in tow. Antiles won the 200-yard individual medley for her fourth time in this season’s Ivy League competition.

In the one-meter diving event, Columbia seniors Chloe Hacker and Brooke Bernardin had top-three performances, scoring second and third place, respectively.

The Lions were edged, however, in the 400-yard freestyle relay event to solidify the win for Brown.

Columbia will continue its season with a nonconference match next Saturday at Seton Hall.

jacqueline.diggs@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Columbia Brown Ivy League