Men's swimming and diving continued its winning streak this weekend, just barely defeating Navy.

In a close contest, men’s swimming and diving managed to beat Navy in a nail-biter with a final score of 151-149. With this victory, the Lions (7-2, 3-2 Ivy) find themselves on a four-meet winning steak.

In an unlikely loss, first-year diver Jonathan Suckow placed second with a score of 347.48 behind Navy’s Bradley Butcher, who won the one-meter diving event with a score of 372.68. Suckow, however, remains undefeated in the three-meter event and posted a winning score of 388.43 this weekend. He was followed by senior Jayden Pantel in second place with a score of 379.05 and Butcher in third place.

Sophomore Cole Stevens, senior Jae Park, senior Kevin Frifeldt, and first-year Albert Gwo quickly recovered the Light Blue’s lead with a first-place finish in the 200-yard medley relay, clocking in with a time of 1:30.45.

The Lions also performed well in the 50-yard freestyle, earning first- and second-place finishes in their strongest showing in this event so far this season. Gwo took home the gold with a time of 20.40, and Frifeldt claimed the silver with a time of 20.47.

By winning a total of nine out of 16 events, the Light Blue were able to hold off the Midshipmen by the skin of its teeth. Other notable first-place finishers included senior Michal Zyla in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:39.21, Park in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 55.97 and the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:49.85, Stevens in the 200 back with a time of 1:49.35, and Frifeldt in the 100 fly with a time of 48.59.

In the last event of the meet, the Lions were able to clinch their victory over Navy by winning the 400-yard freestyle relay with a heart-stopping performance. It all came down the the last few yards of the relay, when Gwo delivered with his usual ferocious finish to clock in with a time of 3:00.57, finishing only .06 seconds ahead of the Midshipmen.

Next weekend the Lions will finish out their dual-meet season at Uris Pool against Dartmouth on Saturday, Feb. 3. This meet, which will double as senior day, will begin at 11:00 a.m.

chapman.hughes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Photo: Kali Duffy

Men's Swimming and Diving