Women's swimming and diving picked up an important result following a disappointing start to the season so far.

Columbia women’s swimming and diving tallied its first dual-meet victory on the road this weekend, topping Seton Hall 175-115.

The Lions finished first in nearly every event, including two top-three sweeps. The match started with a win in the 400-yard medley relay from first-year Susie Zhu, sophomore Helen Wojdylo, first-year Eva Crouse, and first-year Allyssa Phelps. Junior Maureen Rakovec swam the 1,000-yard freestyle in a time of 10:25.68 before Wojdylo secured another win in the 200-yard freestyle.

Junior Mary Ashby, first-year Emily Wang, and senior Kate O’Rourke gave Columbia the first sweep of the match in the 100-yard backstroke, in which Ashby and Wang finished nearly two seconds ahead of O’Rourke and the rest of the field. The next two wins included the 100-yard breaststroke from sophomore Julia Samson and the 200-yard butterfly from sophomore Clare MacNamara.

The second sweep for the Lions was in the 50-yard freestyle. Zhu’s time of 24.20 set the bar for the race, followed by junior Jessica Antiles and first-year Jessica He.

Wang gave Columbia another win in the 100-yard freestyle with her 52.85 finish, and He’s 200-yard backstroke time of 2:05.87 raked in yet another victory. Seton Hall took the top spot in the next event, but a win in the 500-yard freestyle from first-year Kasia Malendowicz further distanced the Lions from Seton Hall in total points on the night.

On the diving boards, the Light Blue earned top scores in both events. Senior Brooke Bernardin scored a 275.95 to earn first in the one-meter dive, then followed up her performance with a 275 on the three-meter dive.

The Lions will return to Uris Pool next weekend to face Dartmouth on Saturday at 3 p.m.

jacqueline.diggs@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Women's Swimming and Diving