File Photo / KJ Mulam

This past weekend, women’s basketball beat Brown in their second conference win, but lost to Yale the following afternoon.

Women’s basketball picked up its second conference win on the road this weekend against Brown on Friday night 90-74, but lost at Yale on Saturday afternoon 66-59.

Despite the Lions’ (8-19, Ivy 2-10) offensive troubles, the Light Blue scored a season high of 90 points against Brown (15-10, Ivy 3-9) on Friday night. Senior forward Camille Zimmerman led the way with 23 points, coupled with six assists and four blocks, strengthening her case for Ivy League player of the year.

Zimmerman’s success was not the only reason Columbia’s offense was spectacular against Brown. First-year guard Imani Whittington had a season-high 17 points and the Lions shot a whopping 50 percent from the field, exceeding their conference average by 13 percent.

The Light Blue dominated the interior as it outscored Brown 36-28 on points in the paint. The Lions’ frontcourt of Zimmerman and first-year forward Madison Pack combined for 23 of Columbia’s 43 rebounds and scored a combined 35 points.

On defense, the Lions struggled to stop the top-ranked Brown offense, which leads the league in points per game in conference play, but succeeded in slowing down the fast-paced Bears’ offense by limiting them to seven fast break opportunities.

Columbia’s offensive success on the road was more limited on Saturday against Yale (15-10, Ivy 8-4), despite Whittington nearly matching the personal season high she posted the night before by putting up 14 points.

The Lions struggled from behind the arc against Yale, shooting just 29.4 percent from three compared to 50 percent on Friday night. Zimmerman posted yet another double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds, but the team lacked the boost on the interior provided by Pack against Brown.

Columbia was extremely successful on defense on Saturday, limiting Yale—a team in the hunt for the Ivy League playoffs—to just 66 points on 38 percent shooting. The Lions held Yale to just four threes and a dismal 17.4 percent from behind the arc.

Strong showings this weekend by young players other than first-year guard Riley Casey demonstrate that the team will survive the loss of Zimmerman at the end of the year. Friday night’s win against Brown, however, in which five players scored more than 10 points, should encourage the Lions to push toward a more balanced attack.

The Light Blue will wrap up the season at home next weekend with games against Dartmouth and Harvard.

anthony.montes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports