Ben Goldsmith / File Photo

Ethan Abrams (44) pitches in the spring 2017 season. Over spring break the team will travel to Texas for a 10-game road trip.

Baseball will travel to Texas over spring break for a 10-game road trip starting Friday.

The Lions (1-7) will hope to improve upon their performance last weekend—when they went 1-3 against USF in Tampa—against UTSA (5-5) in San Antonio before heading to Corpus Christi for one game against Texas A&M Corpus Christi (10-2). The Light Blue will then go to Houston on Wednesday for five games to finish off the road trip, against Rice (5-7), New Mexico (5-5-1), and Houston (5-6).

Despite losing to USF in the final game after the team allowed seven earned runs and the bullpen 14 hits, the Lions’ offense built up some momentum by scoring six runs after having scored just four runs combined in the first three games of the series.

In these early matchups, the Light Blue offense has been led by sophomore Liam McGill, junior Joe Engel, first-year Jack Chernow, and senior Randell Kanemaru, who have all been batting over .300 throughout the season’s first two weekends.

Meanwhile, sophomore Julian Bury, who was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year last season, has not gotten off to a quick start in his sophomore season. Bury is batting just .152 after the first eight games with zero extra-base hits.

Even if the offense stays hot, the Lions’ bullpen will have to get on track this season in order to stay competitive in Texas, as relief pitchers have allowed 33 earned runs in the eight games played so far.

The Lions will look to do better during their spring break trip than they did last year, when they dropped eight out of nine games.

UTSA will provide a tough pitching matchup, as its staff has allowed just a 3.13 ERA overall over 10 games played. The second opponent of the trip, Texas A&M Corpus Christi is currently on a three-game winning streak, and it has a win over No. 21 Mississippi State under its belt this season. Rice will be led by infielder Ford Proctor, who is batting a scorching .425 with nine RBI through 12 games. New Mexico will present a challenge for the Lions’ pitching staff, as the team has scored six or more runs in six of the 11 games it has played so far. The final matchup, Houston, has lost four games in a row but also has a strong pitching staff that has kept its opponents’ batting average to .220.

The Lions’ longest road trip of the season starts this Friday with four games against UTSA and finishes March 18 with another against the University of Houston. | @CUSpecSports