Mike McLaughlin / Courtesy Photo

Women's golf had a tumultuous weekend in conference play at the Match Madness tournament.

The women’s golf team defeated Ivy League rival Penn on Sunday, finishing in third place behind tournament winner Princeton and runner-up Seton Hall, at this weekend’s Match Madness event at the par-70 Fox Hollow Golf Club in Branchburg, New Jersey.

The four-team tournament featured an atypical setup. Usually, individuals are ranked with all event participants in a pool by relative score from lowest to highest. Individual scores accumulate over the course of the event and are combined to post a final team score. This weekend, however, players competed head-to-head against individual opponents from rival teams each day.

On Saturday, Columbia dropped three individual matches to Princeton, finishing 2-3 on the day. The team recovered with a victory over Penn on Sunday, defeating the Quakers 3-2 in the consolation final to rank third in the event.

Senior Nancy Xu, first-year Katie Lee, and sophomore Emily Chu contributed Columbia’s three wins on Sunday. On Saturday, Xu scored below her Princeton opponent, Maya Walton, while Lee and junior captain Amy Ding tied with Princeton competitors Tiana Lau and Alison Chang, respectively, to notch Columbia’s other point.

Although first-year Kim Chiang did not compete in the scored portion of the event, she delivered impressive results as an additional player. Chiang scored under both of her rivals: Penn’s Yubin Huh on Saturday and Seton Hall’s Jamie Greene on Sunday.

After posting a last-place finish at the 3M Augusta Invitational over spring break—the team’s last event before Match Madness—Columbia is looking to continue gaining experience on the green in preparation for the Ivy League Championship in three weeks.

Columbia is scheduled to play next in the Wagner University Vanessa Picciotto Perrine Memorial Intercollegiate at Quail Valley Golf Club in Adams County, Pennsylvania from Sunday, April 8 through Monday, April 9 before facing Penn and Princeton again at the conference championship on April 20.

alex.andrejev@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Women's Golf Lions Sports