Ethan M Wu / File Photo

Women's Golf closed the season with a solid performance at the Ivy League Championship, finishing fourth.

The women’s golf team capped off its season with a fourth place finish at the Ivy League Championship last weekend at the Metedeconk National Golf Club in Jackson, NJ. Senior Nancy Xu led the Lions with a score of 11-over-par to tie for seventh place out of 35 individual players.

The highlight of the weekend came during the second round of play on Saturday, when four of Columbia’s five players—Xu, sophomore Emily Chu, first-year Symba Xu, and first-year Katie Lee—carded their lowest scores of the weekend to move Columbia from sixth to fourth place, four strokes behind team leader Brown. Both Nancy Xu and Chu shot their lowest rounds of the spring season on Saturday, scoring 73 and 72, respectively, on the par-72 course.

“The girls were able to have a taste of what it’s like to be close to the lead, and to talk about it,” head coach Amy Weeks said of the team’s performance on Saturday. “They were able to say, ‘Hey guys, look what we just did. We just shot our way to four strokes out of the lead,’ and were able to go to the golf course the last day and see what happens.”

On Sunday, however, the Lions were unable to match their Saturday performance, which would have been necessary to make up for the team’s deficit in the first round. Columbia finished the weekend with a score of 61-over-par (320-298-307-925), placing it 14 strokes behind eventual team-winner Princeton (+47, 314-303-294-911).

Behind Nancy Xu, Symba Xu contributed the second-lowest score of the weekend at +16, followed closely by junior captain Amy Ding at +17 and Chu at +18. Lee rounded out the individual scorers at 30-over-par.

Despite Sunday’s outcome, Weeks remains optimistic for the future of her young team. There are currently three first-years and three upperclassmen on Columbia’s roster. While the Lions will suffer the loss of Nancy Xu next season, who recently won Second Team All-Ivy League Honors for the second time in her career, the majority of the team and its core players will return to take the helm next fall.

“I think it’s super important for the future to know that everybody is capable of contributing low scores.”

The Lions will return to the green next fall to improve upon this season’s performance.

alex.andrejev@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Women's Golf Columbia Lions