File Photo /

Senior Harrisen Egly was named the Ivy League pitcher of the week after tossing seven and two-thirds innings of one-run baseball with nine strikeouts against Cornell.

Baseball closed out its regular season with a three-game road trip at Cornell (14-22-1, 9-12) over the weekend. The Lions (18-27, 13-8) came away with two wins and a loss after splitting the Saturday double-header and winning on Sunday afternoon.

The Lions suffered a devastating 14-2 loss in the first match of the day on Saturday. Sophomore pitcher Jordan Chriss started the game and performed well through the first four innings, holding Cornell scoreless as Columbia batted in two runs, but he faltered in the fifth inning, where he gave up five earned runs and was quickly pulled.

The rest of Columbia’s pitchers did not fare much better. Fellow sophomore Leo Pollack was subbed in for Chriss in the fifth and, over the course of the rest of the fifth inning and the sixth, gave up three earned runs. Cornell’s offensive slaughter did not stop there, as Dan Harrington, also a sophomore, gave up another four runs in just one-third of an inning of work. Cornell’s final runs of the day were scored against senior Zack Bahm, who let up two earned runs in a third of an inning.

Columbia’s two runs came from sophomore designated hitter Liam McGill and first-year Matt Cerfolio.

In the second game of the double-header, the Light Blue regained lost ground; behind reliable pitching and just enough offense, the Lions were able to defeat the Big Red 3-2.

Columbia senior pitcher Harrisen Egly worked almost eight full innings of superb play, holding Cornell scoreless through the first seven innings and giving up just one run in the eighth. During this span, the Lions were able to amass a 2-0 lead behind a run by first-year second baseman Jack Chernow in the third and another by McGill in the sixth

After Cornell tied up the game in the eighth, Columbia re-established its lead when sophomore infielder AJ DiFillipo scored after a Cornell fielding error. Junior Lucas Hall held the Big Red scoreless in the bottom of the ninth to register the win.

In the third game of the weekend, played on Sunday, the Lions also managed a 3-2, giving up only one earned run, as sophomore pitcher Ben Wereski worked five innings of almost flawless baseball. Wereski was solid and delivered an excellent performance when the Lions needed it most.

Cerfolio and DiFillipo continued their productive weekends as they both scored runs alongside senior catcher Lane Robinette.

The Lions ended their season 18-27 overall and 13-8 in Ivy League play. With Dartmouth’s 18-17 defeat to Harvard, Columbia has qualified for the Championship Series and will play against first-place Yale in New Haven, Connecticut this weekend. The first game of the Championship series is set to begin at 12:05 p.m. on Saturday.

ethan.delehman@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Baseball Columbia Lions