Ben Goldsmith / File Photo

The Lions fell to Quinnipiac in their season opener, but bounced back with a victory over Monmouth to earn a split in their opening weekend.

NEW YORK — Field hockey opened its season with a loss against Quinnipiac on Friday, but came up with a win against Monmouth on Monday night.

On Friday evening, Quinnipiac (2-2) opened the scoring early at Columbia Field Hockey Stadium with a sixth minute goal from Elisa Van Winkel. Adjusting after their early concession, the Lions (1-1) substituted generously over the next 15 minutes and found a working lineup as senior midfielder Katie Koester scored in the 21st minute on an assist from first-year midfielder Brooke Gasser.

After 35 minutes and one goal apiece, the two sides went into halftime tied, but the score changed quickly in the second half.

In the 38th minute, senior forward Danielle Buttinger finished an assist from junior midfielder Jennifer Trieschman to put the Lions up 2-1. Columbia could not celebrate for long, however, as the Bobcats equalized 22 seconds later to undo Buttinger’s earned lead.

In response, Columbia continued its attack with two shots, although Quinnipiac blocked one and saved the other. The Bobcats’ next shot, however, would decide the game as Amanda Blum took on Columbia’s keeper and supplied the pass that won the game for goalscorer Anna Walmsley and Quinnipiac.

Columbia managed five more shots throughout the game but could not find the back of the net, securing its first loss of the season, 2-3.

On Monday night, the Lions welcomed Monmouth (2-2) to New York City and put forth a more dominant performance than before the weekend. This time, Columbia would take the early lead as Buttinger put the Lions up 1-0 in the 8th minute of the game after first-year midfielder Emma Dornich’s dribble and then assist.

Just before halftime in the 34th minute, the Lions score again—this time through sophomore midfielder Kelsey Farkas—but the Hawks managed to cut their deficit back to one with a goal in the 35th minute.

Columbia’s Trieschman went on to score once more in the 48th minute and the Lions won 3-1. Although the winning scoreline will please head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols, she will need to address the Lions’ most burning issue from this weekend—conceding just after scoring.

Later this week, the Lions will travel to Massachusetts, where they will compete against UMass Lowell on Friday and Holy Cross on Sunday.

leo.goldman@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Field Hockey Columbia Lions