KJ Mulam / Staff Photographer

After picking up two wins this weekend, the Lions have an even, 3-3, record on two weekends of competition on the road.

After an early loss on Friday morning, volleyball fought its way through the rest of the Blue Hen Invitational to finish 2-1 on the weekend at the University of Delaware.

In its second weekend of competition under head coach Allison Keeley, the Light Blue (3-3) started against Grand Canyon (6-3) at 10 a.m. on Friday. The Lions quickly found themselves engaged in a tightly contested first set, coming back from an early five-point deficit to eventually lead at 18-17. The Light Blue, however, would go on to lose that first set 24-26, as well as the next two sets, 17-25 and 12-25, for their third defeat of the season.

Columbia’s offense looked much stronger in its second game on Friday against Marist (3-7), in which three players—junior Chichi Ikwuazom, senior Lauren Wilkins, and first-year Emily Teehan—registered kills in the double digits. The Lions won in straight sets, 25-23, 25-23, and 25-22.

In Saturday’s game against the weekend’s hosts, Delaware (5-4), the Lions won in a five-set thriller despite previously going down, two sets to one. After losing the second and third sets by scores of 15-25 and 21-25 respectively, the Lions dominated the final two sets 25-14 and 15-10 to capture their second consecutive win.

The Light Blue will next compete in the Big Apple Battle at home, facing both St. Francis College and Fordham in a doubleheader on Friday.

chituga.weli@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports