Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

Field Hockey split their first road trip of the season this past weekend.

Field hockey started off their first road trip of the season with a tough double overtime loss against UMass Lowell on Friday night, but they salvaged the weekend with a 1-0 win at Holy Cross on Saturday.

The Lions saw large contributions from three first-year players who scored three of Columbia’s four goals this past weekend.

The Light Blue got off to a slow start on Friday night, conceding the first goal of the game only four minutes in. However, they turned it around in the middle of the first half, as senior midfielder Katie Koester put one in the back of the net to level the score. First-year midfield/back Brooke Gasser provided a spark off the bench with a goal off her own missed shot to give the Light Blue the lead at the half.

UMass scored out of the locker room in the second half, ending Columbia’s short lead. The game remained tied for most of the second half, until first-year midfielder Emily Maclean broke the stalemate with a goal in the 62nd minute off of a corner.

UMass tied the game at three in the 67th minute to force overtime, and they rode their momentum to a win with a goal in double overtime. The Lions struggled to contain UMass senior forward Torrie Huk, who posted a hat trick, scoring in both halves and the overtime period.

Despite fighting through overtime not once but twice on Friday night, the Light Blue came back on Saturday afternoon with a 1-0 win on the road against Holy Cross.

Columbia got off to a hot start as first-year midfielder Jamie McCormick scored the game’s one and only goal in the ninth minute off a corner. Despite conceding four goals the night before, the Lions played stellar defense on Saturday, shutting out Holy Cross for 70 minutes. Senior goalkeeper Katie Dempsey posted an incredible ten saves in the shutout victory for the Light Blue.

Overall, the Lions should focus on the positives from their first road trip. It yielded large contributions from first-year players like McCormick, Maclean, and Gasser in big moments. The immediate impact of these new players should make the Columbia team, which is already loaded with returning upperclassmen, optimistic as they head into Ivy League play.

anthony.montes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Field Hockey Sports