Ben Goldsmith / Senior Staff Photographer

After easily beating Hofstra 5-1 on Saturday, the Lions could not maintain their lead against Northeastern on Sunday.

In its final nonconference weekend, field hockey picked up another win and a loss while hosting Hofstra and Northeastern at home.

On Saturday afternoon, the Lions (3-3) started off strong against Hofstra (1-7). Columbia opened the scoring early with two goals in the first 12 minutes, one from junior forward Jennifer Trieschman, who scored twice on Saturday.

After starting off with an early 2-0 lead, the Lions conceded a goal in the 28th minute but would go on to score three more goals and win the game 5-1. The Lions’ comfortable lead allowed head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols to substitute and rest senior goalkeeper Katie Dempsey in the 62nd minute.

The Light Blue did not fare as well against Northeastern on Sunday, when it suffered a heartbreaking 3-2 overtime loss: its second in two consecutive weekends.

Columbia squandered an early goal in the tenth minute but first-year midfielder Brooke Gasser equalized off of a corner in the 15th minute of the game. The score would remain even through the period as Dempsey would go on to save three shots in the first half.

After coming out of the locker room, the Lions took the lead with a goal from Trieschman from another corner. The Light Blue almost held off Northeastern for the rest of the match but Northeastern put an equalizer past Dempsey in the 66th minute to force an overtime period.

Columbia could not bounce back after the late equalizer, failing to get in a single shot before Northeastern went on to win the game with a 76th minute goal.

After three consecutive split weekends, the Light Blue has gleaned an even record ahead of the beginning of conference play next Saturday at Brown.

anthony.montes@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports