Lola Lafia / Columbia Daily Spectator

Field hockey will put its perfect Ivy League record on the line against Princeton on Friday, hosting the fourth-ranked Tigers at the Baker Athletics Complex.

Coming off its second consecutive Ivy League win, field hockey (6-3, 2-0 Ivy) will host Princeton (8-3, 2-0 Ivy) at Baker Field on Friday.

The Lions (6-3, 2-0 Ivy) are coming off two straight Ancient Eight victories but will face a stiff challenge against the Tigers (8-3, 2-0 Ivy) on Friday night. Princeton, ranked No. 4 in the most recent NCAA Division I field hockey rankings, topped third-ranked Duke 3-2 and was narrowly defeated by second-ranked North Carolina. Last year, the Tigers easily dispatched the Lions 3-0 in New Jersey.

Leading the Lions’ defense this season is senior goalie Katie Dempsey, who has tallied two shutouts in her final year in Morningside Heights and is currently ranked second in the Ivy League in save percentage. In last year’s matchup, Dempsey made two big saves that kept Columbia in the game and could now slow a potent Princeton offense.

Head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols noted that the defense is beginning to shine.

“Dempsey has done well to translate her training to games,” she said. “...Overall, our team’s defense has really come together at the right time in the season.”

On the attack, the team will lean on junior midfielder Jennifer Trieschman, currently ranked second in the Ivy League with seven goals. Although Trieschman did not score against Cornell last week, she tallied seven shots, besting her previous season high and helping the Lions secure a 2-0 victory over the Big Red.

Princeton was victorious against Yale in its most recent Ivy League game on Sept. 28, where it triumphed over the Bulldogs 5-0. Given that the Tigers and Lions are tied atop the Ivy League standings, with both having cruised in two matches apiece, the game could prove crucial to determining the favorite in the Ancient Eight going forward.

The game begins on Friday at 5:30 p.m. at Baker Field.

dunia.habboosh@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Field Hockey Columbia Lions