Lula O'Donnell / Columbia Daily Spectator

Senior forward Danielle Buttinger defends during the Lions' 5-4 win against Fairfield.

Field hockey picked up a win and a loss this weekend, falling short against Penn on Friday before securing a win against Fairfield Sunday afternoon.

The Lions (7-5, 2-2 Ivy) fell to Penn (7-7, 3-1 Ivy) 0-2 in Philadelphia after a close game. The match remained scoreless until the 29th minute, when Penn sneaked one in off of a pass from the top right of the circle. The second half began 0-1, but five minutes into play the Quakers found the back of the net once again to make the score 2-0.

Columbia rallied back and played much more offensively in the second half. The Lions attempted ten shots compared to their two in the first half, but they could not finish an opportunity.

With only ten minutes left to play, the Lions called for a time-out. Columbia attacked continuously after the short break, keeping the ball in Penn’s side with five penalty corners. The team pulled senior goalie Katie Dempsey with a minute and a half left in the game, but it was not enough to beat the Quakers. The game marked field hockey’s second Ivy League loss of the season.

Sunday proved more successful for the Lions, as they beat Fairfield (10-5) after a double overtime and shootout 5-4.

The Lions came out of the locker room strong. After first-year midfielder Brooke Gasser scored thanks to penalty corner to bring Columbia to an early 1-0 lead, the Lions kept the ball on their offensive side for four consecutive penalty corners. Nevertheless, Fairfield carried the ball down the field to score a goal of its own.

The Lions were unfazed, and junior midfielder Emma Wiklund found the back of the net 30 seconds later.

Fairfield then brought a new surge of energy, and Columbia was on the defense. 19 minutes into the game, Dempsey made a save with the edge of her toe, eliciting a cheer from the crowd. A few seconds later, however, Fairfield shot one in between the goalie’s legs, bringing the score to 2-2.

Tied yet again, Columbia found itself defending two more corners. After deflecting two shots, the Lions let one slip by, and Fairfield earned its first lead of the game.

“We know that Fairfield is pretty strong in their attack,” head coach Nelson-Nichols said. “We know that they’re going to get corners and we know that they are pretty put together in how they present their corners.”

With the score sitting at 3-2, the Lions worked to bring the ball back to their offensive zone. Three separate players had shot attempts, but none could capitalize. The Lions went into the locker room trailing Fairfield by one.

Fairfield retained possession for the first seven minutes of the second half, producing two penalty corners and five shots on goal. Dempsey saved every ball that she encountered. She came up with huge saves, hitting down high shots and sliding to cover balls headed toward the corners.

“Coming into this game I knew that I was going to see a lot of shots,” Dempsey said. “Fairfield is a very skilled team. As a team defensive unit we were really ready to step up and take many.”

Eight minutes into the second half, Fairfield broke away and created a one-on-one chance against Dempsey. She saved the shot and earned Columbia possession, finally creating two shot attempts for themselves.

After five more minutes of back and forth play, Fairfield scored again, extending their lead to 4-2. The Lions did not concede, and immediately ripped off seven shots on goal. 23 minutes into the second half, Columbia finally found the back of the net. First-year midfielder Emily Maclean capitalized on a perfect corner, and closed the gap to 4-3.

Two minutes later, junior forward Jennifer Trieschman stood at the top off the circle and drove the ball past the Farfield defenders and into net. Trieschman jumped and threw up her hands, celebrating her tying goal. The players on the field swarmed her and a loud cheer erupted from the bench. Trieschman’s goal brought the score to 4-4.

The last 10 minutes remained scoreless, and the teams headed into overtime.

Columbia spent the majority of the first overtime playing defense, deflecting a consistent flurry of Fairfield shots. This pattern continued in the second overtime as well as the Lion’s defense worked to block several penalty corners.

With both overtimes remaining scoreless, the game went into a shootout. Columbia scored three out of its five shots while Fairfield only made two, earning Columbia a 5-4 win.

The Lions look ahead to another double-header this weekend. The team will first face Dartmouth on Friday at 2 p.m. and go on to play Villanova at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

dunia.habboosh@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports