KJ Mulam / Staff Photographer

After its defeat to Dartmouth on Friday, field hockey possessed a two-goal lead against Villanova Sunday, but could not maintain that advantage, eventually falling in double overtime to the Wildcats to close out a disappointing weekend.

Field hockey dropped both of its contests this weekend, falling to Dartmouth on Friday and Villanova on Sunday.

On Friday, Columbia (7-7, 2-3 Ivy) lost to Dartmouth (6-8, 2-3 Ivy) 2-1. In the final minute, the Lions had three solid chances at net after holding possession for the last few minutes, but they were unable to tie the game in the end. Though a late goal in the second half from the Lions cut the two-goal deficit in half, that tally was not enough in the end.

Dartmouth pulled ahead early, scoring seven minutes into the first half on a penalty corner. Columbia then gained possession and created a penalty corner opportunity of their own. The Light Blue was unable to capitalize, however, as both shot attempts went wide.

The Lions kept up the attack, putting up six shots on goal during the rest of the half. Unable to finish on any of the attempts, the Lions remained scoreless for the rest of the half.

After halftime, the Lions came out of the locker room strong. Senior forward Danielle Buttinger created a shot attempt but was unable to find the back of the net. Two minutes later, Columbia played out a penalty corner, but they were again unable to get on the board.

Dartmouth then gained possession, and Big Green set up for a penalty corner. Senior goalie Katie Dempsey saved the first shot from the play, but Dartmouth was able to tap the ball in around her from the rebound.

Trailing 2-0, Columbia looked to come back. After multiple runs on attack and defense, Buttinger was able to find the back of the net, bringing the score to 2-1.

Buttinger took on the goalie one-on-one, and beat her one-on-one. After her success, Columbia retained possession for the rest of the game. With three minutes left to play, first-year midfielder Brooke Gasser took a penalty stroke, which was saved.

The Lions then took a timeout and pulled the goalie for the remaining two and a half minutes. The team was still unable to convert their three shot attempts and two penalty corners into a goal, finishing the game with a 2-1 loss.

On Sunday, the Lions took on Villanova (8-8, 3-3 Big East). The Wildcats earned two penalty corners four minutes into the game. However, the Lions quickly turned things around, and first-year forward Isabella Collins found the back of the net with an assist from Buttinger. Collins received Buttinger’s pass in front of the goalie, then drove the ball in on the left side.

Leading 1-0, Columbia did not let up. Collins scored again three minutes later during a fast break. Buttinger assisted the second goal as well, bringing the Lions’ lead up to 2-0.

“Bella is doing a great job to get up to speed on the ins and outs of how we play,” head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols said of Collins’s play. “Her hard work in training is starting to show in her performances on the field.”

Columbia continued to attack Villanova’s defense, but they could not get secure another goal. With only 40 seconds left to play in the half, Villanova came back and scored on a penalty corner. After a battle in front of the net, the Wildcats slipped the ball in, cutting the Lions’ lead to 2-1.

“At halftime, we talked about needing more energy in our attack and defense,” Nelson-Nichols said of the team’s plan going into the rest of the game.

Senior back Katherine Cavanaugh supplied that energy, scoring two minutes into the second half. But though the Lions kept the ball on their attacking side with two penalty corners, the Wildcats regained possession and scored to make it a one-goal game again.

Villanova found the back of the net again with fifteen minutes left to play. Tied 3-3, Columbia attempted one more shot but could not finish. The game then went into double overtime, when the Wildcats scored again to win the game.

“We dominated the overtime period but couldn’t find the net to close this game out,” Nelson-Nichols said.

Columbia faces another doubleheader next weekend, when it will meet Yale on Saturday and Sacred Heart on Sunday.

dunia.habboosh@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Field Hockey Columbia Lions