KJ Mulam / Columbia Daily Spectator

Field Hockey heads into third double-header weekend of the season looking to bounce back from two-game skid.

For the third week in a row, field hockey is set to compete in a doubleheader weekend. The team will travel to New Haven, Connecticut on Saturday to play Yale before hosting Sacred Heart at Baker Field on Sunday.

Saturday’s game against Yale (8-7, 2-3 Ivy) will be an exciting rematch, as Columbia (7-7, 2-3 Ivy) beat the Bulldogs last year in overtime, just as the buzzer rang. Then-junior forward Danielle Buttinger assisted on the winning goal, and then-junior back Katherine Cavanaugh scored the tying goal in the second half.

This year, these seniors’ experience facing off against the Bulldogs will be vital for the team’s success.

On Sunday, Columbia will face off against Sacred Heart (8-9, 2-2 NEC) for the first time in two years. During their last matchup in 2015, the Lions topped the Pioneers 4-1.

Sunday’s game is field hockey’s last home game of the season and will thus be the team’s senior day. The five graduating players will be honored before the contest.

Although the Lions have dropped their last two games, the team is still looking to utilize the team-oriented strategy that head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols has instilled in her players.

“We are looking to continue our team attack and team defense,” Nelson-Nichols said of this coming weekend.

Saturday’s game kicks off at noon in New Haven, and Sunday’s will commence at 2 p.m. at Baker Field.

dunia.habboosh@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Field Hockey Sports Lions