Rya Inm / Senior Staff Photographer

Field hockey closed its season with a disappointing performance, falling 6-0 to Harvard.

Field hockey was shut out 6-0 by Harvard on Saturday, bringing the Lions’ 2018 season to an end.

The Light Blue (8-9, 2-5 Ivy) battled the Crimson in Cambridge, and though Columbia mustered a few chances, it was unable to find the back of the net. Harvard (16-1, 7-0 Ivy), which has led the Ivy League from start to finish this season, scored ten minutes into the first half on the first penalty corner of the game and did not look back. The Crimson extended the lead to 3-0 with two goals within four minutes of each other.

Columbia moved the ball to its attacking zone with three minutes left to play and was able to create a penalty corner opportunity. The Lions mustered two consecutive shot attempts but both were blocked by Harvard’s goalie.

Going into the second half, the Lions came out strong. Senior back Katherine Cavanaugh fired a shot toward the net just two minutes in, but it was saved once again. Columbia kept up its attack, attempting another shot before the Crimson scored again.

Trailing 4-0, the Lions did not let up on defense. Harvard played out three penalty corners and attempted five shots, but senior goalkeeper Katie Dempsey saved each one.

With 13 minutes left to play, Harvard scored again. Columbia took a time out and substituted in sophomore goalkeeper Alexa Conomikes.

Ten minutes later, the Crimson took a timeout of its own. When play began again, Harvard immediately found the back of the net, stretching its lead to 6-0 to finish the game.

Harvard maintained a perfect record in Ivy League play this season, earning the outright Ivy League Championship. Conversely, Columbia finished the season ranked fifth in the Ivy League.

The team will return to action next fall, as head coach Caroline Nelson-Nichols and her staff will use the off-season to try and improve on the Lions’ performance..

dunia.habboosh@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Field Hockey Columbia Lions