Rya Inman / Senior Staff Photographer

Both the men's and women's swimming and diving teams struggled against Harvard last weekend.

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving both lost to undefeated Harvard this weekend in Cambridge.

The women (2-2, 1-2 Ivy) entered the meet straight off of a decisive loss to Yale last weekend and faced an uphill battle against the Crimson (3-0, 3-0 Ivy). Harvard has had a dominant season thus far, beating both Cornell and Dartmouth in its first tri-meet of the season.

The meet, which the Lions lost 103-192, was marked by a few strong performances from both swimming and diving. Columbia began the meet with a win in the 200-yard medley relay, clocking a time of 1:44.79. The relay team, comprised of junior Julia Samson, senior Jessica Antiles, sophomore Emily Wang, and sophomore Jessica He, edged out Harvard’s relay team by a mere .04 seconds.

Antiles picked up the only victory in an individual swim for the Lions, recording a time of 2:04.15 in the 200-yard individual medley relay. First-year Mary Pruden also had a successful meet, finishing in second place in both the 1000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke with times of 10:34.52 and 2:02.50, respectively.

First-year diver Briget Rosendahl recorded strong scores in both diving events, placing fourth in the 1-meter dive with a score of 263.33 and third in the 3-meter dive with a score of 254.03.

The men (1-2, 0-3 Ivy) fared slightly worse against the Crimson and remain winless in the Ivy League. After failing to win a single event over the course of the meet, the Lions ultimately lost 83-216.

Despite Harvard’s fast racing on Friday, Columbia managed to record a few key swims. Junior Nian-Guo Liu picked up two second-place finishes in both the 100 and 200 yard freestyle events. He recorded a time of 45.37 in the 100 and 1:38.08 in the 200. Senior Pearce Kieser and junior Erek Cox went two-three in the 100 breastroke, also picking up some points for the Lions.

While Columbia was missing star sophomore diver Jonathan Suckow due to illness, senior Kevin Fulton delivered a strong performance against the Crimson. Fulton finished in fourth place in both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives with scores of 274.58 and 283.58, respectively.

Both the men and women have this weekend off and will return to the pool the following weekend to compete in invitational meets. The women head to Piscataway, New Jersey for the Rutgers Frank Elm Invitational from Nov. 28 to Dec. 1. The men will be in Providence, Rhode Island from Nov. 30 to Dec. 2 at the Brown Invitational.

madeline.covino@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Swimming and Diving Swimming Diving Columbia Lions