Caroline Dailey / Columbia Daily Spectator

First-year guard Mikayla Markham is one of four first-year starters for the Lions this season.

Women’s basketball suffered its fourth consecutive defeat on Sunday, losing to Colgate 84-71.

Although the Lions challenged Colgate for the majority of the game by ending the first, second, and third quarters while in the lead, they fell to Colgate in the beginning of the final quarter. Unable to recover the advantage, Columbia lost the game by 13 points.

The Raiders (2-3) started off strong, quickly scoring 11 points that went unchallenged by the Lions (2-4). Four minutes into the contest, first-year guard Madison Hardy put the Lions on the scoreboard, hitting two straight three-pointers. With two layups and two free throws, standout first-year guard/forward Sienna Durr helped Columbia take the lead and overcome a deficit, ending the quarter at 17-16.

In the second quarter, Durr and Hardy continued their strong performances, scoring seven and six points respectively to maintain the Lions’ lead. Junior guard Janiya Clemmons emerged as a key player in the second quarter, assisting Durr twice and scoring two jump shots of her own. The half ended with the Lions leading 36-25.

Colgate closed the gap within the first three minutes of the third quarter, tying up the game. The Lions and the Raiders continued to battle for control of the scoreboard, but a three-pointer from first-year guard Mikayla Markham pushed Columbia ahead, 53-50, to end the third quarter.

The Lions, however, fell nine points behind the Raiders four minutes into the final quarter and were unable to recover. Despite another three-pointer by Hardy in the final minutes, Colgate increased its lead, and Columbia lost the game, 84-71.

The Light Blue will look to end this losing streak on Thursday in its next game against St. Joseph’s. The Hawks have had a similarly inconsistent season, with two wins and four losses.

It’s likely that the defenses of both teams will be closely matched, with each seeing about 15 turnovers per game. Columbia’s offense should have the upper hand, however, with an average of 68.7 points scored per game this season, compared to 50.3 from the Hawks. The Lions have also demonstrated success in hitting three-pointers this season, with the Lions averaging twice as many successful three-pointers per game as St. Joseph's this season.

The Lions will tip off against the Hawks on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Philadelphia.

sammy.applebaum@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

Basketball Women's Basketball Columbia Lions