Caroline Wallace / File Photo

Barnard President Debora Spar will become the president and CEO of Lincoln Center in March.

The presidential search committee released a job description for Barnard President Debora Spar’s replacement on Monday in an email from search committee chairs Ina Drew and Cheryl Glicker Milstein, BC ’82.

Spar, who has been the president of the college since 2008, will be stepping down in March to become the president and CEO of Lincoln Center. Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldberg will take over as interim president until a permanent replacement can be found.

The description, which was based on the discussions that took place at a set of listening sessions hosted by the search committee two weeks ago, was compiled by the search firm Spencer Stuart. It outlines the key responsibilities of the next president, as well as the capabilities that members of the Barnard community have said they hope to see in the next president.

Expectations for the candidates include academic experience and a commitment to bringing diversity to the college, with fundraising abilities also being included under “strategic, financial, and operational” leadership skills.

The description also outlines goals for the college under the new president, including the “development and execution of a clear and compelling strategy” for the college and the creation of a “healthy environment” for all members of the community. This latter concern comes after students across the University have expressed the need for improved mental health care resources on campus.

Furthermore, the description noted that Barnard’s next president must be committed to women’s empowerment and the role of the women’s college while also strengthening the college’s relationship with Columbia.

In the email, Drew and Milstein announced another listening session on March 7 for members of the community who would like to provide additional input, though it is unclear if the job description will be updated to reflect these contributions.

The additional session will be held on March 7 from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Sulzberger Parlor in Barnard Hall.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

barnard president debora spar rob goldberg presidential search committee