Courtesy / Barnard Steering Committee

The Cheryl and Philip Milstein Teaching and Learning Center will open in the fall of 2018.

Barnard has named the new Teaching and Learning Center after Cheryl Glicker Milstein, BC ’82, and Philip Milstein, CC ’71.

The $150 million building—$25 million of which was donated by the Milsteins—will replace Lehman Hall. Scheduled to open in fall 2018, the Milstein Teaching and Learning Center will house Barnard’s library, the Barnard Center for Research on Women, the Athena Center for Leadership Studies, a computational science center, digital commons with five teaching labs and several flexible learning spaces, a café, and several departmental offices.

Cheryl Milstein, the vice chair of Barnard’s board of trustees, told Spectator that the new center will help bring Barnard’s physical resources in line with its academic needs.

“This Teaching and Learning Center is a big thing,” she said. “We believe that everything that will be housed within the building will help to continue to produce or to educate the future generation of women leaders who have taken the transformative step of walking through the Barnard gates.”

The announcement of the building’s name came two days before Barnard President Debora Spar’s final day at the college. Spar, who raised a significant portion of the funds for the building through the college’s capital campaign, The Bold Standard, said that the Milsteins’ gift was “an investment” in the college’s future.

“This gift in particular will really be crucial in enabling us to realize one of the most important current projects, which is of course the new Teaching and Learning Center,” Spar said.

Though Milstein said she had fond memories of studying in Lehman Library as an English major, the space did not facilitate group studying or socializing, which the new center will include space for.

“It’s really going to have everything,” Milstein said. “Because every single acre of land, and every building are so important, that this building has to be more than what the Lehman Library was.”

The new center, Milstein said, will focus ultimately on the facilitating the college’s main endeavors of teaching and learning by providing features, including digital design labs and classrooms, that Lehman did not have.

“This new Teaching and Learning Center will be picking up the pace and the current of the world and the way students learn and are taught,” Milstein said.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

teaching and learning center cheryl milstein debora spar barnard