Katherine Gerberich / Staff Photographer

Meekins spent the last six years at Rutgers University, where she served as both the university director for student employment and the senior executive associate for the office of the senior vice president for human resources.

Cynthia Meekins will serve as Barnard’s new director of Student Employment Services, Dean of the College Avis Hinkson announced in an email on Wednesday.

Meekins has prior experience working in student employment services, having spent the last six years at Rutgers University where she served as both the university director for student employment and the senior executive associate for the office of the senior vice president for human resources.

During her time at Rutgers, Meekins supported the third-largest federal work study program—which provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses—in the nation.

Meekins holds a Master of Arts in English language and literature from the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Arts in English language and literature and women and gender studies from Rutgers University. While at Rutgers, Meekins also worked as a part-time faculty instructor and lecturer in the women and gender studies department and for the English department’s writing program.

The full email can be found below:

Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

I am thrilled to announce that Cynthia Meekins has joined the College as the Director of Student Employment Services. Cynthia comes to us after six years at Rutgers University where she served as both the University Director for Student Employment and the Senior Executive Associate for the Office of the Senior Vice President for Human Resources. In both roles, Cynthia brought her passion and enthusiasm to students, faculty and staff seeking employment and internships. As the University Director for Student Employment, she also supported the third-largest Federal Work Study Program in the nation. Cynthia holds a Master of Arts in English Language and Literature from the University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature and Women and Gender Studies from Rutgers University.

At this time, I would also like to acknowledge the Student Employment Services team who have worked with me directly these last months. I am extremely grateful for their commitment during this transitional time, and I look forward to continuing to work closely with Cynthia and her team.

Please join me in welcoming Cynthia Meekins to Barnard.

Sincerely,

Avis Hinkson

Dean of the College

aubri.juhasz@columbiaspectator.com | @AubriRuth

employment-services barnard