Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

A male Columbia student entered a Barnard student's dorm room without consent and while nude on Sunday morning.

Updated 3/5/2018 at 9:54 p.m.

A male Columbia student intruded into the room of a Barnard student while in the nude Sunday morning, according to an email sent to the Barnard community by Dean of the College Avis Hinkson this afternoon.

The Columbia student had been signed into the Barnard Quad as a guest on Saturday night but entered the room of a different Barnard student without permission and while undressed. The intruder was apprehended by Barnard Public Safety after attempting to flee and, according to the email, the NYPD was also involved.

The intruder has been identified as a first-year on the heavyweight crew team. Police reports describe him as “intoxicated,” and he allegedly urinated on the student’s bed, carpet, and desk before leaving the scene.

An investigation by both Barnard and Columbia Athletics is currently ongoing. According to a statement given to Spectator by Columbia Athletics, the University has “zero tolerance” for such actions, which “violate team guidelines and do not meet the standard” for student athletes.

Hinkson’s full email can be read below.

Dear Barnard Students,

I am writing to make you aware of an incident that occurred in the Quad early this morning. A Columbia student who had signed in as a guest of a Barnard student entered the room of another student, without permission and in the nude. The student awoke and became alarmed by his presence. The intruder ran but was detained by Barnard Public Safety, and the police were engaged.

The College is investigating the incident. We are offering support to the students involved.

The safety of our students is of the utmost importance to us. Our thanks to the students who responded to help their classmate, as well as to those who are assisting in the investigation into the incident. If you have questions or concerns, please feel welcome to email me.

Respectfully,

Avis Hinkson, Dean of the College

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

Nude Intrude Avis Hinkson Detained